What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waking History

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I have started a lot of airplane engines in my life ? but today was something special! After many hundreds of hours of work by an awful lot of people, THE RV-1 (serial number 171 for some reason) coughed to life with the turn of a key for the first time in a number of years. The air was cool, but it kicked off as soon as it got fuel to the cylinders. Aerosport Power has (re)built a great engine, and coupled to a brand new custom-made Prop by Craig Cat (to match van?s original specifications) it holds pots of promise as a smooth power source for this historic machine. There are a myriad of small details left to be done ? none of them show stoppers ? and hopefully, there will be some folks working on them tomorrow and during the week at Jay Pratt?s RV Central. I hear that the canopy, wheel pants and cowl are close to being finished up by Grady at Glo Custom, and if everything comes together, we should be able to met our early February goal of getting it back in the air.

I saw a lot of picture-taking today ? hoping to see some posts of this momentous occations.

The RV-1 Lives!:D

I can't quite say why this project has inspired my admiration so, but it has. Yes, the RV-1 is an impressive icon in aviation history, but I'm especially taken by how humble it is.

I remember having similar feelings in high-school over three decades ago when our band made a cross-country trip to Wash DC, and we took a day (only one! drat!) at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. My fellow teenagers seemed to like it all well enough, but I was positively reverent. Here were so many of my great loves in history right above my head, and they looked so . . . human.

Thank you to everyone who has put so many hands to the task of getting this touchstone of our hobby flying again.

And thank you, especially, to Van.

--
Stephen

Thanks

To Paul, Ernie, Jay, and all of the members and vendors of the RV1 project that have allowed us to participate in the project. To the volunteers that did the work, you are awesome. All of the experimental aviation world is appreciative of your efforts. I hope to see RV1 soon!
Tom

Febuary 3, 2012

Pat,

We hope to get the cowl, canopy and wheel pants from Grady GLO Monday. We NEED those things to move forward.

Weight n balance needs to be done before the final inspections. We hope the inspections will be done by Friday so the final assembly and first flight can be planned for next Saturday / Sunday.

Last edited:
TS Flighlines

Tom,

Thanks,

Not sure where the RV1 will be going between Sun n Fun and OSHKOSH. But maby you can point to a good Fly-In in your neighborhood for the RV 1 to 'visit' on its way to OSHKOSH 2012.

Just reading this made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! There is something so special about a first engine start, even more exciting than a first flight to me. Maybe it is the seriousness associated with a first flight that makes this so enjoyable. Whatever it is, you guys have passed a great milestone in the life of a great aircraft. Congratulations! Maybe we can fly loose formation into Oshkosh.

Bob

Firing the engine is a milestone. Nice and thanks for posting. I enjoy following the progress as likely many others do too...

RV-1 Milestone

Great job guys! It's really coming together!
Can anyone tell me who took the engine run video and in particular, what camera was he using?

Back