VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
macintron macintron is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tualatin, OR
Posts: 56
Default The Eagle Has Landed!

Today I went out with a dream and came back with papers. However those papers are my receipt for the RV-10 Empenage kit!!!!!

After many years of dreaming and "preparing" today my wife and I took a tour of VANS factory and also did a demo flight on their RV-10. Although I had a few hours in a 7A I have never flown in a 10. I was pleasantly surprised with the handling characteristics of this bigger airplane.

I am really looking forward to start inventorying and actually building. Which is what I had plan for the next couple of days. BUT the kit did not fit in the mini van that I had brought to carry it home. Lucky for us we live about 10 minutes away, so is just a matter of finding a car big enough and the time off of work to get it home.

On a side note. What was everyone's experience when they told friends and family that you are going to build an airplane in the garage? Mine has been mostly positively "there is something wrong with this guy, but that is really cool" usually followed by How are you paying for that??
__________________
May you always find VFR and tailwinds.
Builder:#41340

RV-10:

Emp Kit (done for now!)

Wings: In pro-seal mess...


http://www.marcosinflight.com

Last edited by macintron : 01-25-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: adding new images
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Mike S's Avatar
Mike S Mike S is offline
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dayton Airpark, NV A34
Posts: 16,100
Default Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!
__________________
Mike Starkey
VAF 909

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM
fatherson fatherson is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 427
Default

Congrats Marcos from another programmer and newish builder. Making the jump from lurker to builder is such a thrill. It's like you've moved from passenger to crew (if perhaps still in the right seat instead of the left). I wish I had started two decades earlier in my life as you did. You'll have a whole lifetime to enjoy this hobby.

Enjoy every moment of your build!

--
Stephen

Last edited by fatherson : 01-25-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
rockwoodrv9 rockwoodrv9 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Meridian ID, Aspen CO, Okemos MI
Posts: 2,861
Default envy

I envy you being able to put your kit # on your profile! I have until Friday to make my mind up. My mind is really already made up, Im just getting the courage to actually make the call to Vans. (and when my wife is skiing on Friday)
Good luck with your kit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 PM
CharlieWaffles's Avatar
CharlieWaffles CharlieWaffles is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Posts: 1,358
Default

congratulations. As before, you're welcome to stop by at any time to check out. My rv10 just up the road from you.
__________________
CharlieWaffles - But you can call me "Mark"
RV-10
N928MT
Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Wayne Gillispie Wayne Gillispie is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,499
Default Congratulations

Van's has averaged 13+ emp kits/mo since I bought mine. We have over 25% of the RV-10's flying. There worth every dollar too.
__________________
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
blahphish's Avatar
blahphish blahphish is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marietta, GA (KCZL)
Posts: 312
Default

Congrats! Every time someone finds out we're building a plane in our garage they ask how it fits and how we're going to get it to the airport. I think most people assume when you say its in your garage they expect a tiny little kite with a rubber band motor but for the people who ask more questions like how far can it go, how fast, etc, they are impressed

You will have a great time with the build. At first I thought it would just be a means to the end but the building experience is pretty rewarding in itself.
__________________
Brian Unrein
RV10 N42BU 1,000+ hours!
First flight 6-16-12
https://N42BU.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
ppilotmike's Avatar
ppilotmike ppilotmike is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,014
Default Welcome!

Congrats on your decision to "leap" into the world of RV building. My wife and I (mostly I, since she just recently had our first child) have been building our RV10 for the last 6 months or so, and it has been a blast. My advice is to involve everyone that you can in your build (neighbors, friends and family). #1) educating others is the best way to make sure you know the material - my mom was a teacher and always said this.. #2) more people equals more fun and a faster build.. and #3) they won't ask so many questions about "when will it be done" because they'll know what kind of effort it takes!
__________________
Mike Rettig
EAA Chapter 301 www.eaa301.org
VAF Dues Current
RV-10 - Working on engine / prop installation
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 PM
macintron macintron is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tualatin, OR
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahphish View Post
Congrats! Every time someone finds out we're building a plane in our garage they ask how it fits and how we're going to get it to the airport. I think most people assume when you say its in your garage they expect a tiny little kite with a rubber band motor but for the people who ask more questions like how far can it go, how fast, etc, they are impressed

You will have a great time with the build. At first I thought it would just be a means to the end but the building experience is pretty rewarding in itself.
Yes, I have gotten a few of the, so how big is this model airplane?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilotmike View Post
Congrats on your decision to "leap" into the world of RV building. My wife and I (mostly I, since she just recently had our first child) have been building our RV10 for the last 6 months or so, and it has been a blast. My advice is to involve everyone that you can in your build (neighbors, friends and family). #1) educating others is the best way to make sure you know the material - my mom was a teacher and always said this.. #2) more people equals more fun and a faster build.. and #3) they won't ask so many questions about "when will it be done" because they'll know what kind of effort it takes!
That was my original plan!!! But the response I got from my mom and my mother in-law has bee, well that's great you got an airplane but why aren't you having kids instead??? Hopefully they'll understand that it is a family airplane it is just one step at a time.
I have been trying to get more people involved in the project but am at a point where I am learning things myself. Though I like the idea of involving my neighbors except that most of my neighbors are 80+, which is great because they won't be able to hear the air compressor going on :]
__________________
May you always find VFR and tailwinds.
Builder:#41340

RV-10:

Emp Kit (done for now!)

Wings: In pro-seal mess...


http://www.marcosinflight.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
DaAV8R DaAV8R is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintron View Post
.

On a side note. What was everyone's experience when they told friends and family that you are going to build an airplane in the garage? Mine has been mostly positively "there is something wrong with this guy, but that is really cool" usually followed by How are you paying for that??
I am building in the basement. Everyone asks me how I'm going to get it out. One one hand people are generally impressed that I am building an airplane but deep down they think I might be dumb enough to build a ship in a bottle.

I really hope they are wrong
__________________
Robert Williams
Lee's Summit, MO
RV-8 - Empennage & Wings Done
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.