Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Talking pesky oil leak solved finally - quick drain

I was changing oil today and trying to narrow down where a small oil leak is coming from, hard to do on a Lycoming I know, but I really think it is the quick drain!? I can see where oil is "seeping" around the blue collar.

Anyone else had a problem with theirs?
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.

Last edited by Geico266 : 06-23-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Default quick drain leak--

The o-ring needs to be changed from time to time on the quick drain. The heat and pressure causes the o-ring to become hard and brittle. Not a big job to remove the drain and replace the o-ring.
Vance Noles (vaf#139)
RV-9A--370+hrs
RV7-A qb @ 100%-58hrs
TMX-IO360, Hart CS,
IFR, Tru-Trak ap,

Bradenton, Florida
Old 06-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
The o-ring needs to be changed from time to time on the quick drain. The heat and pressure causes the o-ring to become hard and brittle. Not a big job to remove the drain and replace the o-ring.
Thanks for the heads up! The "annual" is coming up and that will be a good time to tackle that major job.
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 PM

My Saf-Air leaked a tiny bit when new. Called 'em and they INSISTED on sending me a new unit. I said "just send me some new o-rings". "Nope, we're gonna send you a new one just in case there's a scratch or something in the seal area." Okay. Didn't even ask for the old one back.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB)
Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Talking pesky oil leak solved finally.

its has been quit a while with this leak and i never thought to suspect the quick drain. 50 cents worth of parts and i am very happy. those o-rings only had thousands of hours on them. what a great invention. i can dump my oil by going thru the oil door to hook up a hose. i seem to get a nice click when i close the valve now. keep on pounding or flying.
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg

Last edited by turbo : 12-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 PM

Default o-rings

Anything special about those o-rings? Were did you get yours? I think mine needs to be changed also. Know the size?
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 AM

Turbo we did our first run last Saturday and noted oil on the cowling directly down from our newly install QD. Was the leak around the treads where it goes into the oil pan or from the inside of the QD?
Phelps
Old 12-09-2011, 11:51 AM

I was watching my hangar mate do an oil change the other day and he has a piece of tubing connected to his quick drain valve routed up to his oil door where it is coiled up and tie wrapped to his engine mount. This way, if the valve leaks it will flow into the flexible tube but does not have enough pressure to climb all the way up to the oil door. To drain the oil, he reaches down, opens the valve, and starts a syphon to drain the oil. A little more weight to carry around but don't need to remove the lower cowl for an oil change and lower risk of an oil leak. Just a thought.

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
I was watching my hangar mate do an oil change the other day and he has a piece of tubing connected to his quick drain valve routed up to his oil door where it is coiled up and tie wrapped to his engine mount. This way, if the valve leaks it will flow into the flexible tube but does not have enough pressure to climb all the way up to the oil door. To drain the oil, he reaches down, opens the valve, and starts a syphon to drain the oil. A little more weight to carry around but don't need to remove the lower cowl for an oil change and lower risk of an oil leak. Just a thought.
An oil change is an excellent time to pull the cowl for a good inspection of the engine compartment. Call it a forced inspection if you wish.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
An oil change is an excellent time to pull the cowl for a good inspection of the engine compartment. Call it a forced inspection if you wish.
Agree with Sam. An oil change is a great opportunity to perform a conditional inspection. Why limit an inspection and your chances of discovering a problem only to once a year? Even with my three bladed prop, removing the lower cowl is not that big of an issue so why not do it and gain unrestricted access and an unrestricted view of the entire engine area?

P.S. Oh, and Turbo, I have to ask. What exactly is that advertisement underneath your quick drain? It makes for an interesting back drop.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻