- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Default Roll on the Grass

Tony and I make right decisions super fast and often invade on a very short notice. Our territory is pretty much exhausted and we are conquering close neighbors. It's not exactly RV Occupation but rather Expansion of boundaries.

Weather so so where do we go? Virginia? Da. Tomorrow Monday we are both off. You pick me up in the air, frequency 123.45. Good.

Our ports are 20 minutes apart. APRS is our primary tracking device I am 5 miles inbound to Tony's place. See his yellow bird taking off and intercepting me. Regular business.

Target was 53VG a newly commissioned grass strip. The drome belongs to a VAF member, avid flyer and very energetic gentleman Glen Salmon. During my recent trip to the Bahamas I did reconnaissance of the field and already knew what to expect. We decided to give it couple tries then if in doubt we go to a concreted WWII airport only couple miles away.

We crossed the pond, did some loose formation flying, watched big guys practice at Dover and totally enjoyed the flight. In an hour and a change Glen's hangar was in sight. With so so visibility it can be seen from 10 miles if vis is excellent I probably could see him from Princeton just need to get high enough.

Tony tried first I was circling. He made it easy and had to explain how. Fully panted nosey RV7 on grass???? Then my bomber came slowly the same way. Jump jump shim shim stopped in the middle of 1900' non event the field is in great shape. Glen sent us some useful tips and tricks for his strip before I hope he repost them here.

Here we are in the mountains of Virginia We are at the highest elevation of 41 feet.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 12-06-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM

Tony brought his co-pilot Brutus and Glen's pug Zen totally enjoyed the company. They had a place to play the size of Central Park.

Inside the hangar lives RV8, a pretty slim girl with good power and wood prop. Beauty. There will be Beast there soon

Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 PM

Glen's hangar-home is impressive I hope he will tell about it. He designed everything himself. 22nd century heating system, trusses and gates could go straight to Guggenheim or Sothebys they are all masterpieces. Pictures didn't do justice and I didn't make a lot. I didn't want to look like a spy from a famous movie

He also has this. Restored himself. Stunning.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 PM

Then we surveyed the strip. Walked all length and I counted all weeds. One hand was enough for that.

Taxiway Golf. I missed it first time and drove straight to the house across planted wheat. Glen said no damage to the crops. I have a good insurer anyway

RWY 21.

There is a little raise in the middle Glen said if you could not make it before the raise go around. I made it.

RWY 3

Last edited by Vlad : 12-06-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM

After successful inspection there is always another one The house is still in construction but it's already shaped like a mansion on Museum Mile.

We checked only one third of the house. Then the host cooked with help of Zen. He could easily be hired as chief chef by Petrossian. This is the kitchen. Bamboo cabinetry is under construction in the hangar waiting for handles from Madagascar. Seriously.

And this is the food. We conquered right farm

Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks, I really enjoyed that.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 PM

We chatted and chatted and chatted. When I looked at the clock it was past 3 pm. Time to go I have Day VFR machine need to make it home before sunset.

"Salmon Ground, flight of two RV's taxiing to the active via Golf". Good Bravo Kilo was working as a leaf blower with his huge prop. Now Glen has clean taxiway

Salmon Tower 174BK flight of two departing to the north.

The North met us with precipitation and low ceilings but still good VFR. We dodged, lost each other and went home separately.

Good tailwind helped by the time I got to Princeton the University Stadium was lit. It's getting darker but still daytime.

In mid December days are short. With RV you can launch afternoon to your favorite destination and be back home by dinner. Keep pounding do not surrender! You have some boundaries to expand. Come to Salmon Farm you will enjoy it.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Vlad,

DAM! You get around! See you for brunch on Sunday!!!

CJ
Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Co-pilot

"Loose" formation

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Vlad / Tony,

You guys have nice machines !

Let Brutis know Zen enjoyed the visit and was a happy blob by evening!