Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Yes Mike. I don't know if it is appropriate to say anything in public without his explicit consent, but a very scary situation and great piloting. All in all, landed safely with only very minor (cosmetic) damage.

Give me a call and we can talk, if you are interested.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - in progress
Dues paid
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Sent you a PM.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-02-2011, 03:21 PM

Talking WOW! "Nose Jobs" Second Run of 400 Almost Gone.

We have had a lot of really super feedback from many of you guys that have installed your new "Nose Jobs" and we really appreciate all the input. We had a few guys (four) say that they had trouble using the bent installation bolts. We looked into that and corrected the problem by enlarging the center hole in the spacer plate. Now it should be considerably easier to use this bolt. The response on this item has been fabulous to say the least, far far greater than we had anticipated. our second production run is for the most part gone as we only have four "Nose Job" kits left at present. I would like to say thank you again to all of you for fabulous reception this product received.
We are currently testing another new product we have developed that works hand in hand with "The Nose Job" to add an even greater safety margin in this type of gear leg mishap. Please keep your eyes open for it as we will release them very soon. Regards all, Allan
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Default The Anti Splat "Nose Job" a review

Guys: A "Nose Job" install review. Received the nose job brace Monday afternoon and began installation Tuesday morning. I marked the distance at 8" as per instruction and then installed the clamp dohickey with my 2lb rubber mallet(Harbor Freight). It goes on very easy if placed at the 8" mark. Believe it or not, the nose gear actually has a smaller diameter at the 8" mark than at the tapered wheel end. Tried once to use the bent bolt with the steel spacer and gave that up immediately. I used two 3" C-clamps(Harbor Freight) to squeeze the mounting clamp to within about a 1/4", slid the brace into place and fitted the bolts and tightened the nuts to required torque of 150 in/lbs. I have an unused bent bolt, washer and nut and the 1/4" spacer if anyone needs one. Additionally, I did not use the fiberglass fairing either, my original fit nicely. When I built the gear fairings, I mounted the hinge beads outside the trailing edges of the fairings. I didn't want the sharp trailing edges that were just waiting for me bump into and require stitches. By mounting the hinge beads outside the trailing edges, I have a metal rounded edge protector and an extra 1/4" of space that allowed the nose job brace to fit just right. So I have an extra one of those also. Today I flew a 1 hour pattern ride and did some landings to see if anything was different about the nose gear. I think the nose gear is stiffer on touchdown that before. I have always aero braked to 45 kts or less before slowing lowering the nose. It may be my imagination but it does seems somewhat stiffer now. Dan
Old 11-07-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy2 View Post
I sure wish Vans would take more interest and responsibility for the nose gear issue. Yeah, they did a mod a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to have really fixed the problem. At least they could donate a few nose gear legs to Allan, so he could
  1. Make a rig to reliably reproduce the NG failure
  2. Then put on his Anti-Splat gizmo, and show the difference it makes
I think it probably works, but it would be nice....and not so expensive...to have actual before-and-after results to see.
check out the 2 videos on his web site http://antisplataero.com - the second one shows what you are asking for.
brian
2001 Quad City Challenger II LW - N28RT SOLD

www.meyette.us/RV-7Ahome.htm
Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
check out the 2 videos on his web site http://antisplataero.com - the second one shows what you are asking for.
brian
Right you are...I had not seen that video before.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccidude1 View Post
So I have an extra one of those also. Today I flew a 1 hour pattern ride and did some landings to see if anything was different about the nose gear. I think the nose gear is stiffer on touchdown that before. I have always aero braked to 45 kts or less before slowing lowering the nose. It may be my imagination but it does seems somewhat stiffer now. Dan
Hello Dan;
We are glad to hear that your "Nose Job" is installed and working well for you. If you would like to return the fairing and parts that you didn't need we would be happy to credit you back for them. Thank you for posting your thoughts and impressions here as we know others are interested as well. Regards, Allan
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lee View Post
Once it contacted soft dirt something acted as a pole vault and over it went.
The following is from the NTSB study of RV flip over accidents.

"...Once the strut and fork have contacted the ground, the strut will bend aft. The aft loading from the dragging fork and the spring-back reaction of the strut produces an overturning moment and lifting action that may result in the airplane overturning without any additional forces acting on the airplane. The aerodynamic load on the horizontal stabilizer may prevent the airplane from overturning while the airspeed is greater than some critical yet presumably low airspeed. This could provide the circumstances for varying lengths of the observed ground scars, in that the airplane needs to slow down to a critical low airspeed regardless of the airspeed at the start of the event. At low airspeeds, the aerodynamic loads on the horizontal stabilizer lessen to the point that the tail can now start to rise allowing the airplane to rotate about the nose gear and become inverted. This could provide the result of the relatively constant distance from the end of the ground scars to the final resting place of the inverted airplanes. In addition, as the airplane starts to overturn, the stored energy in the strut tends to raise the airplane vertically on the propeller spinners and leaving the engine inlets undisturbed.

Several factors may combine to reduce the nominal ground clearance. Low tire pressure, heavier engine weights, and runway condition can each increase the risk of the fork contacting the runway surface. It should be noted that the manufacturer has redesigned the nose gear fork to provide an extra inch of ground clearance.

The FEA shows that the nose gear strut has sufficient strength to perform its intended function. In all cases, the landing gear struts and forks were making contact with the ground and initiating the damage sequence ..."

Source: Structures Study - NTSB Case No.: ANC05LA123
KC2ZEL
Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 AM

Default Report on Nose Gear Installation

I received my Nose Job on my door step on Thursday when I arrived home from work. However, it would have to wait a while before installation. We had plans to fly to Petit Jean first thing Friday morning. My wife and I flew out to Arkansas and had a wonderful time. We had plans to stay through Sunday before coming home. As it turns out, the weather was not going to cooperate for a flight home Sunday so we ended up leaving Saturday afternoon instead. This left me with time on my hands Sunday. The sun was out at the airport and it turned out to be a warm day. So out I go to install the Nose Job.

Here is my report with pictures of the installation. Ok, before we go any further I have to make comments on this first photo.

This was quite a shock when I pulled the front nose pant off of the gear!

What the. . .! Look at those groove marks! Those are directly underneath the big nut in front of the yoke. Now I live on a grass strip and at least one landing on every trip involves landing on grass. Well, I am going to tell you, no grass I have ever landed on is tough enough to put those kind of grooves in fiberglass. No, those were caused by some asphalt somewhere, sometime. I cannot be sure when exactly.

When would this have happened? I have no memory of any landings that might have caused this. No taxi incidents that I am aware of. Hmmm. Not cool! We picked the plane up from Grady on January 1, 2011 so the paint on this wheel pant is not even a year old. The best time frame I can think of would be that this happened sometime between the conditional inspection (July 20th) and Sunday, November 6. Sometime the nose gear oscillated enough to allow the nose gear pant to come into contact with a hard surface. If you look closely you can see black tar in between some of the grooves. Yes, indeed, this fiberglass was rubbed up against asphalt sometime, but for the life of me, I cannot imagine when this would have occurred.

Now I have commented to several individuals in the past about the landing technique and taxi technique involved in maneuvering our A models on the ground. I have always felt it very important to keep the nose gear off the ground as long as possible when touching down and to make a point to keep the stick rubbing against my belt buckle whenever the airplane is on the ground. I have always landed on the mains and held the stick back until the nose just would not stay up any longer. In my opinion, this is the only way to land these A model airplanes. And it is what I have always done.

Given this I am somewhat taken aback by this discovery. Having done exactly as described above at all times, I find this wheel pant has still come into contact with the ground at some time. This gives great pause for thought.

So, for all of you guys out there flying without wheel pants on your A model nose gear pay heed to this. Here is pictorial evidence of how that fiberglass may save your bacon sometime. In my case, I didn't even know it had happened!

On to the installation. I really only have one picture below of the bracket installed onto the leg gear. The truth is that this installation is really very simple. As the instructions state, approximately 8" up from the curve of the gear leg the thickness of the leg tapers to a smaller diameter. This is where the bracket goes on. The bracket takes a little persuasive tapping from a rubber mallet or some other such persuader to get it to slide around the gear leg.

Once that is on and you have marked the location you will need to squeeze the bracket closed around the leg. I did not have any luck with the bent bolt. In fact it broke the first time I attempted to provide a little torque on it to get it to squeeze the bracket closed. So out came the vice grip C clamps. They are what you will need to "Git 'er Done".

Notice on the picture below I wrapped some electrical tape around the gear leg where the Nose Job brace would come into contact with the gear leg. I think it important to try and protect the powder coating surface of the gear to keep from marring the surface and allowing for potential rust from starting on the steal gear leg.

Here is a picture of the wheel pant and my original leg fairing back on the airplane. AntiSplat does provide a new fiberglass leg fairing to replace the original but I did not want to have to replace my already fitted and painted fairing if I did not have to. It does not quite fit completely around the brace but it does fit well enough to allow me to reinstall it with a slight modification. The trailing edge of the fairing lacks about 1/2" from being wide enough to completely cover the brace. That 1/2" is not enough to prevent installation of the hinge pin however. I was able to slide the hinge pin through one side of the hinge eyelets up to the lower section of the fairing where the bracket prevents the complete closing of the trailing edge of the fairing. From that point upwards the faring closed normally and I could continue sliding the pin through both sides of the hinge and secure it. With the hose clamp securing the bottom of the faring and the intersection faring securing the top I am confident this will adequately secure the leg faring.

You can see in this picture there is a gap about half way up the trailing edge of the faring. This gap is caused by the protrusion of the brace aft toward the hinge. Looking closely at the hinge wire just above the wheel pant you can see I was able to slide the hinge pin wire up through the hinge eyelets and then, just past the bracket, the hinge came back together where the hinge pin wire was able to slide through both sides of the hinge to secure the upper half of the faring.

I hope these pictures and this write up will be helpful to others installing this modification. Given the scraping my nose wheel pant has already experienced I am hopeful this mod will make a difference. I have not flown with this mod yet but will report back when I do.

Live Long and Prosper!
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻

Last edited by RVbySDI : 11-08-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Hi Steve,

An under inflated nose wheel tire along with a slight depression in asphalt/concrete on a ramp, taxiway etc... will scrape the wheel pant, I've seen it happen. Looking at the pic with the scrape, it will get your attention for sure. One thing I've learned never to ignor is tire pressures. Check'em... check'em... check'em!
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1

Last edited by LifeofReiley : 11-08-2011 at 12:18 PM.