- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Default Marine Wheel Bearing Grease?

I'm mounting the wheels and tires now. I did a search on the Grease subject and found that water and moisture seem to be an issue.

I live in FL and taxi ways having standing water is common after an afternoon shower.

I'm thinking of using Marine Bearing Grease that is water resistant. Good to temps of 500F (150F higher then the Aeroshell called for in plans)

*** as a note: now the bearings come clean and unpacked with shipping grease.

Any thoughts on using Marine Grease? I can guarantee I'll slosh through a few puddles getting back to the Hanger.
Replace paint with performance.

This is my personal account and does not reflect the official communications of Aircraftwraps.com. We have retained a username for such correspondence. I post about formation, eating, aerobatics and pilot stuff .
Old 10-05-2011, 11:52 AM

I don't have my building documentation here at the office but I believe Aeroshell 5 or 22 is specified in the Cleavland wheel documents.

5 is mineral and 22 is synthetic.

EDIT: As the following threads show, my memory was off in regards to Cleveland. I checked my docs this AM and see that it was my Grove nose wheel that called out Aeroshell 22.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Yeah. The boss got a Silhouette Cameo 4 Xmas 2019.

Last edited by rzbill : 10-07-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
I don't have my building documentation here at the office but I believe Aeroshell 5 or 22 is specified in the Cleavland wheel documents.

Cleveland changed in 2007 to Mobil Aviation Grease SHC-100 as the approved grease.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post

That is correct. However, I'm asking about using a synthetic which might serve my needs better then those listed in the plans.

Scott

This is my personal account and does not reflect the official communications of Aircraftwraps.com. We have retained a username for such correspondence. I post about formation, eating, aerobatics and pilot stuff .
Old 10-05-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Cleveland changed in 2007 to Mobil Aviation Grease SHC-100 as the approved grease.
The docs I got from them last Feb with my wheels stated Aeroshell. If they made a change, they are still passing out older documentation.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM

I have used this grease...... http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...121_0006410094

for 30 years on my aircraft without a single bearing issue.

Last edited by gasman : 10-06-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I have used this grease...... http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...121_0006410094

for 30 years without a single bearing issue.
Thanks Gasman. Exactly what I was looking at.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino889 View Post
Thanks Gasman. Exactly what I was looking at.
As soon as you touch this grease, you will know it is not like any other bearing grease.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Thanks for the timely grease tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

for 30 years without a single bearing issue.

Just to be clear (and not questioning your experience and success) is your experience with this product for boat trailer wheel bearings or aircraft wheel bearings? If aircraft, perhaps a note about the climate in which you operate could be added.

Also, I assembled my wheels and greased the bearings more than five years ago, and am now just about to put the RV on it's gear for the first time. The wheels have been sitting in a heated shop since assembly. Should I regrease before first flight?

Bevan
Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Grease options

The Standard Grease in Cleavland wheels is the synthetic Mobil SHC 100. Per Cleavland maintenance manual;
"A. Bearing Grease
CAUTION: DO NOT MIX AVIATION WHEEL BEARING GREASES WITH EACH OTHER. IF USING OTHER APPROVED GREASE, COMPLETE REMOVAL OF CONTAINED GREASE AND BEARING CLEANING IS REQUIRED. REPLACEMENT OF PREVIOUSLY LUBRICATED FELT GREASE SEALS IS ALSO REQUIRED.
CAUTION: THE FOLLOWING GREASE CHANGE DOES NOT APPLY TO AMPHIBIOUS APPLICATIONS NOTED IN TABLE A4.
Beginning March, 2007 all active wheel assemblies listed in Table A4, except those noted for amphibious application, will be shipped from the Cleveland Wheels & Brakes facility with the bearings packed with Mobil Aviation Grease SHC 100, the approved preferred grease for all Parker Hannifin wheel assemblies."
Before this Aeroshell 22 was the standard grease in use. The only exception is wheels for amphibous aplication which use BG Producs, HCF Grease, P/N 605.
Here in Alaska many maintenance shops, including Aerotwin a Cessna Dealer, have switched to using TRC 880 C&C http://www.texasrefinery.com/pdfs/LB...wn&chassis.pdf in all wheel bearing but especially wet/amphibous aplications. I have seen about 3X bearing life using this grease. In certified aplication this is a minor alteration requiring a log entry but in experamental aplications just go for it. Good luck, Russ
Wasilla, Alaska

Last edited by AK4x4 : 10-05-2011 at 03:56 PM.