What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing wingtips with hinges RV-7

gmkonrad

Well Known Member
I installed one wingtip with hinges, used the cutoff fiberglass joggle for the shim on the wing side, everything went together just great. But now with the hinge wires in place, I find that the trailing edge of the wingtip will rattle about 1/4 inch up and down. It appears that the slop is the difference in the width of the hinge eyes vs. the hinge notches. I have clamped the wingtip rib in position near the trailing edge, but no change. Any ideas as to how to tighten things up ?

Gary

I used the hidden hinge method. No movement or slop in mine.

do your hinges roll around the nose of the tip? When I insert my hinge pins, they get very tight and take some effort to get them fully seated.

I used MS20257-4 hinges, the top hinge is 42-1/2" long, and stops short of the first 2 prepunched rivet holes near the leading edge. The bottom hinge is 41-1/2" long, and uses all the prepunched rivet holes. The hinge wires go in surprisingly easy. Yes, the hinge wires are the correct diameter. I am thinking of adding a tab of aluminum, riveted to the last rib of the wing, and bolting it to the rib that is riveted into the fiberglass wingtip. That should stop the movement.

Gary

I used hinges that run the entire length of the wing and the tips are very solid, no movement at all. Sorry, I can't picture what your issue could be.

I had the same problem. Because of the fore-aft play of the hinges, I could move the trailing edge up and down easily. The solution was simple. Before riveting the hinge onto the tip, pick a spot on the hinge close to the middle. Take a ball peen hammer and peen a spot on the hinge flange to stretch the hinge a few thousandths. Be careful, it only takes a few whacks with the peen to stretch the hinge longer. I just opened my bench vice up with the hinge eye down and used that as an anvil.

Last edited:
Back