- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:19 AM

Default RV-3 rudder pedals

Some time ago sometime was talking leg room in the RV3.I am 6' 1 but all my height is in my legs.I have a hard time fitting in RV4's,most of the time I have to remove the back cushion.I built the floor mount pedals for my 3 and found I could just fit in the plane.I decided I wanted to use overhead pedals.Ray Lawrence and I looked it over and thought it would be a good mod.I bought 1 RV7 rudder bar ,rv7 rudder pedals and UHMW rv7 flap blocks.Cut the pedal to fit the 3 , put a brace on the firewall in the center and welded tabs on one side for rudder cable and master cylinder.This saved having to buy a second rv7 rudder bar.With the master cylinders on the front the pedals can now go very close to the firewall.I think this mod probably gave me 1 1/2 to 2 inches more leg room.This will make the aircraft much more comfortable to fly.I thought this might be a option for taller or long legged folks.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Default I have seen this airplane many times.

John has built a -6, -4 and a prize winning -8 with beautiful workmanship.
This particular mod is so simple, it amazed me!...one pedal bar cut in half and a couple tabs welded on.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 AM

Thinking about how much travel I get from my RV-6 pedals, that setup looks like you won't be able to get both rudder and braking action at the same time. Has that been checked? I'm aware of a non-RV homebuilt that was finished near me recently that has this problem.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Thinking about how much travel I get from my RV-6 pedals, that setup looks like you won't be able to get both rudder and braking action at the same time. Has that been checked? I'm aware of a non-RV homebuilt that was finished near me recently that has this problem.
Adjusting the cable link will resolve this issue and also create a better working foot angle to the pedal. Pedals that are set parallel to the firewall will make you ride the brakes.

But this looks like a great mod...........
Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Default Recess in firewall

Is there something that prevents you from putting in an RV-4 style lower firewall recess?
Rv-4 bought, flown and sold.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markscogg View Post
Is there something that prevents you from putting in an RV-4 style lower firewall recess?
According to Paul Dye's FWF posts, a severe lack of space on the front side of the firewall.
VAF #136
Old 07-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
John has built a -6, -4 and a prize winning -8 with beautiful workmanship.
This particular mod is so simple, it amazed me!...one pedal bar cut in half and a couple tabs welded on.
Well, not quite that simple........... the three does not have those longerons that the pedal bar is mounted on.

But, I see the floor bracket for the stock pedals are gone.

Overall, this is really a clean setup, and would make building and maintaining the rudder pedal system much easier. Might weigh a tad more that stock.