What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Autopilot experience

Ben Beaird

I am interested in dicussing the performance of my TruTRak DFC250 ATI autopilot with others that have one installed & flying.

I have a problem with mine automatically disconnecting & exhibiting a "Hardware Failure #3" display message. It only happens when I engage the A/P during climbout right after takeoff. If I power the unit down, power back up and do a "Gyro Set", it performs flawlessly thru the rest of the flight, including alt hold, climbs, descents, Nav, Approaches, etc.

TruTrak has been great about working with me to solve this and other "glitches", but this "Hardware Failure #3" problem exists on both my original unit and the replacement unit that they sent me. We can't determine whether it's inherent in the unit or peculiar to my installation.

I would appreciate any feedback others may have.

Ben Beaird
RV-6A
Plymouth, WI (KSBM)

Ben,

Hello from the Mid-Atlantic. Just wanted to tell you the Navaid you sold me a couple of years ago is still working great. The only mod we had to do to it was add the resistor to the servo to slow the oscillations down. We now have 325 hours on the plane and 1/3 of the those hours have been from coast to coast.

Thanks again

Mike,

Congratulations on your coast-to-coast X-country's. An autopilot is almost mandatory for that kind of flying. I'm glad the Navaid is working well.

1st flight on my -6A was last Sept. I flew off the hours, then winter set in here in Wisconsin. I fly it down to the paint shop tomorrow. WX permitting.

My TruTrak has been operating very well. I just have an occasional minor problem that may be self induced. I'm slowly sorting it out.

If you are ever in the upper midwest, stop by.

Ben Beaird
-6A N13EN
KSBM

Ben,

Having too much fun flying the -6, don't have time to paint. Since the middle of January, we have taken the instrument panel out and are in the process of sealing the leading edge of the canopy skin. Ain't tip ups wonderful. We will also seal the rear window for the same reason, to stop water from leaking inside when it sits on the ramp.

Hoping to paint in the fall/winter this year.

I will look you up when I get up in that neck of the woods. There may be a need for me to visit our plant in Phillips this summer.

Back