What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

10 measurements

dspender

Well Known Member
I want to build my 10 on the second floor of my carriage house. I have an entrance into this room which is 5'6" wide and 6' tall. Can all the parts from the factory fit through this space and once completed can I remove the plane back through the space. I know I would have to remove the wings and I suspect the Horizontal and vertical stabelizers to fit back through. Can all this be done through the dimensions I gave? Thanks

You won't get it back out through your opening with the gear on. I don't have the exact width between the wheels, but my -10 barely fits on my 8.5' wide trailer. I think the height will also be tough if it's on the gear. I rented a house with a single car garage for a while and it barely fit through the door.

If you fab up some kind of fuselage stand that attaches to the spar carrythrough then you can control the height/width and it probably won't be an issue.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Hi Dennis....

...I just measured my main gear....8' apart and the canopy is right at 7' off the ground. Sitting in my hangar, the top of the fin is close to 8 1/2' off the ground.

Yeah, it's a lot bigger airplane than most people realize,

Best,

You won't get it back out through your opening with the gear on. I don't have the exact width between the wheels, but my -10 barely fits on my 8.5' wide trailer. I think the height will also be tough if it's on the gear.
RV-10 #40032

I don't think there is any intent to finish the thing in situ!

You should be OK with the major sub-assemblies - provided you have space to store them. I am on the mid fuselage in a big double garage and starting to run into space issues.

I am away from home at the moment so can't measure. However, the widest part is the mid-fuse at about 4' with the spar stubs about 6" each so 5' should do it.

Back