What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How about both Traditional and Alternate?

SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
How about high pressure automotive fuel injection on a Lycoming engine?
That opens up use of ethanol blended fuel. Adapt the best of automotive fuel injection, and use an aviation oriented control system like Tracy Crooks EC series of controller or Simple Digital Systems injection's controller. Maybe there are others too.
The planned increase in federal aviation fuel tax from $.04 to $.36 (if I recall correctly) certainly helps the mogas cause.
We have lots of avionics that are not certified, even electronic ignition.
It costs me $60/hr in fuel to run my C-182. :eek:
And my autogas STC is useless because you can't get ethanol free fuel here as of last week.
I'm enjoying building an Alternative Engine RV-8, and all that entails, but I tell you this: a stock lycoming powerplant could easily be adapted to run on high pressure digital fuel injection. It's already been done.

It's really not the engine that is the problem but everything up to the engine. There are a few or several on here running auto fuel with ethanol in their lycos.

Scott,
Am I correct that you mean a systen like Audi has which is called FSI ?
As far as I understand the fuel is much better atomized and therefore results in more power, cleaner burn etc. Also this is directly injected in the cylinder chamber right ? If so we would have to modify our cylinders.
All said though this would be a great advancement if it was ever done.

Yes, it could be done. If your goal is to be able to burn E10 however, there is a more practical and simpler solution. Just bolt on any of the fine injection systems on the market (low pressure, analog, "dumb" but functional), do away with the engine-mounted fuel pump and put electric automotive-style pumps in, and replace all the O-rings with Vyton. You now have an ethanol-tolerant fuel system. The engine doesn't know or care - at least for E10.

The only reasons we currently don't run E10 (other than unsubstantiated fear-mongering about carrying capacity for water) is seal incompatibility (which we know how to solve) and fuel pump installations that induce vapor lock (which we know how to solve).

EJ;
I think you are refering to Direct Cylinder Injection. That would be great, but a bit beyond what I was thinking when I posted.
I was thinking of Bosche type high pressure fuel injection in the 40 PSI range like cars use these days. With electric fuel pumps close to the tank.
I did have a Volkswagon CIS air valve thingie a few years ago, but decided it was a no-go for flight. Cludgy, heavy, not good inverted, pressure drop thru the mass flow valve...
I was thinking about digital or analog control of Bosche type injectors in the inlet tube @ the cylinder intake port. No machine work on the basic engine, just bolt on parts, to replace obsolete parts.
Would a Bosche low or high Impedance injector operate on a variable DC control voltage? Or does it require a pulsed ( digital) signal?
You know, could you use a rheostat to control fuel flow in limp home mode?
Greg N, Perhaps you are right and ethanol carburets fine too. I just **assumed** that the pressure and vigorous circulation thru the return regulator to the tank would **assure** the fuel would remain homogenous and reliable, based on personal experience with my 1986 Toyota pickup, which still ran (after a bit of trouble getting it started) with 6 quarts of water in the tank.

Last edited:
check Robert from Protek Performance

Hi,

Robert seems to be quite advanced on his system: www.protekperformance.com - ceratainly worth having a look. I am just short of cash :mad: at this time otherwise I would I would be more advanced on this one too :D.

Cheers, Heinz

Eagle EMS...

Is a system that wold be considered a "common rail" sytem. Uses 30 - 35 psi fuel pressure and pulse width electronically controlled port fuel injection. I think that is what you had in mind.

LarryT

EJ;
I think you are refering to Direct Cylinder Injection. That would be great, but a bit beyond what I was thinking when I posted.
I was thinking of Bosche type high pressure fuel injection in the 40 PSI range like cars use these days. With electric fuel pumps close to the tank.
I did have a Volkswagon CIS air valve thingie a few years ago, but decided it was a no-go for flight. Cludgy, heavy, not good inverted, pressure drop thru the mass flow valve...
I was thinking about digital or analog control of Bosche type injectors in the inlet tube @ the cylinder intake port. No machine work on the basic engine, just bolt on parts, to replace obsolete parts.
Would a Bosche low or high Impedance injector operate on a variable DC control voltage? Or does it require a pulsed ( digital) signal?
You know, could you use a rheostat to control fuel flow in limp home mode?
Greg N, Perhaps you are right and ethanol carburets fine too. I just **assumed** that the pressure and vigorous circulation thru the return regulator to the tank would **assure** the fuel would remain homogenous and reliable, based on personal experience with my 1986 Toyota pickup, which still ran (after a bit of trouble getting it started) with 6 quarts of water in the tank.

Don at airflow performance can set up a bendix system or his system for ethanol, up to 98%. He set mine up that way.

No need to confuse the use of ethanol with redesigning aircraft fuel injection systems, they are two different items.

Back