What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak ADI Pilot II ... awesome.

N8RV

Well Known Member
In a word, AWESOME.

I've never flown with an autopilot before. So, when I started building Smokey, I hadn't considered installing one. Besides, they were really expensive back then, and the choices were few.

Fast forward to a few years ago when Navaid came out with their unit. I was more impressed with the unit than with the sales people at Oshkosh, so I bought one. I installed the servos and ... well ...

... by the time I was ready to do the panel, it was already obsolete. TruTrak came on the scene with several models, one of which -- the ADI Pilot II -- was perfect for my plane. So, I bought it, removed the Navaid servos and installed the ADI Pilot II servos. Fortunately, I finished the plane before it, too, became obsolete!

Installation was straightforward. Even I didn't screw it up, and I knew NOTHING about electronics or autopilots. Of course, Stein had a hand in it by installing the head unit in the panel and making the wire bundles ...

I can't imagine how frustrating Phase I testing would be without having an autopilot! With it, I can set altitude hold and concentrate on checking the EFIS and EMS readouts and glance outside at regular intervals for traffic. I can set a heading and just sit back and let the AP fly the plane as I go nowhere fast, just breaking-in the engine.

And, while I haven't gotten myself lost yet, it's comforting to know that if I did, all I have to do is plug in an airport ID and the AP will fly directly to it. I know, old hat to some of you, but pretty exciting for me!

Kudos to TruTrak for providing an excellent autopilot to the experimental community!

Kudos to TruTrak for providing an excellent autopilot to the experimental community!

Their customer service is second to none also. If you ever have a problem or question, they are good to have in your corner.

Back