What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NAVAID AP-1 wing leveler problem

GETST8FRM

I have a strange issue with my NAVAID AP-1 wing leveler. While I am on the ground, my head unit will engage with the servo. I can turn on the wing leveler, fast taxi, give hard left & right rudder and I can feel the servo applying oppisite force as well as see the aileron's oppisite deflection. When I am at altitude, I will engage the wing leveler and get no response. It is obvious the servo is not engaging...no pressure is felt on the stick to keep track. The head unit is getting power since the turn coordinator remains lit at all times. Any thoughts to correct this issue would be GREATLY appreciated. Still loving the RV-9A !!!!!!!!!

This certainly sounds odd, but I can tell you that mine does not like voltage less than 12.5, so I would make sure that the voltage is staying up when all your equipment is on.

I did the aeroelectric and have a voltage drop across the diode, so I turn my ebuss switch on when I use the Navaid to get the voltage higer. Works fine with plenty of juice.

you probably have figured out your Navaid wing leveler problem by this time. I had a big problem with mine an when I asked for help, I found out that the company had closed. I haven't used mine in flight yet, but like yours, it works on the ground. We'll see what happens upstairs. My RV7A is so sensitive to aileron input, that I'm nervous about engaging it in flight. once engaged, the ailerons are quick to move up and down to, I assume, try to find what the control unit understands as "level". john

you probably have figured out your Navaid wing leveler problem by this time. I had a big problem with mine an when I asked for help, I found out that the company had closed. I haven't used mine in flight yet, but like yours, it works on the ground. We'll see what happens upstairs. My RV7A is so sensitive to aileron input, that I'm nervous about engaging it in flight. once engaged, the ailerons are quick to move up and down to, I assume, try to find what the control unit understands as "level". john

On the ground, the servo is trying to find neutral, and will jerk the ailerons back and forth, as it slightly passes neutral with no air loads to dampen. In the air............it won't, or at least, shouldn't.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back