What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ALTRAK Performance

Shakeel

I'm New Here
Hi Folks: just became a pround owner of an 8A. Plan to upgrade to IFR capable because mission profile is Florida-to-Maine 6-8 times/yr. Expecting to upgrade the autopilot. Already has Tru Trak Pictorial Pilot. Would appreciate any feedback on advantages/disadvantages of Tru Trak's ALTRAK system. Thanks. Great site. Shakeel

Hi Folks: just became a pround owner of an 8A. Plan to upgrade to IFR capable because mission profile is Florida-to-Maine 6-8 times/yr. Expecting to upgrade the autopilot. Already has Tru Trak Pictorial Pilot. Would appreciate any feedback on advantages/disadvantages of Tru Trak's ALTRAK system. Thanks. Great site. Shakeel

Welcome Shakeel.

I use an Altrak in my RV-6 and am fond of it. One of the things I like very much is its simplicity. Like a light switch, it's either ON or OFF. Whatever altitude you're at when you turn it on is where you stay. One tip I'd suggest is making sure your plane is trimmed out nice in pitch before turning it on, to minimize the force required by the servo.

b,
d

I use an Altrak in my RV-6 and am fond of it. One of the things I like very much is its simplicity. Like a light switch, it's either ON or OFF. Whatever altitude you're at when you turn it on is where you stay. One tip I'd suggest is making sure your plane is trimmed out nice in pitch before turning it on, to minimize the force required by the servo.

I'd say the same thing about my Altrak

L.Adamson --- RV6A

This is an upgrade that is so great for IFR cross country it is hard to believe.

Bob Axsom
I TOTALLY AGREE with Bob!!!! I used our Altrak for the majority of our 51 hour cross-country to the Cayman Islands, and it's ROCK SOLID! :) Rosie

I first used the Pictorial Pilot and ALTRAK, Great Combo! When I upgraded Round Steam Gauges to Rectangle Digital displays (Dynons) I also traded up with TT to the DigiFlight II...It's good but I do miss the ability to quickly set altitude hold without 1st setting NAV Hold.

If you decide on the ALTRAK and are interested, I still have the ALTRAK wiring Harness from SteinAir..I'll let you have it for 1/2 the market price (I think they're around $70-80 new) and I'll ship for free.

Fly Safe and Often.

Beetle Bailey
[email protected]

I also traded up with TT to the DigiFlight II...It's good but I do miss the ability to quickly set altitude hold without 1st setting NAV Hold.

I gotta tell you, this is probably my only complaint about my Digiflight II. The separate pictorial pilot/altrak setup is certainly an advantage over this. The ability to do CWS without disabling the alt hold would be nice too.

Have you looked at all the newest features of the TRUTAK. Altitude hold is now built in and pitch attitude to boot. Also, I believe an excessive pitch warning. As a attitude indicator, auto pilot, DG and attitude warning it seems awsome.

Hi Shakeel,

I have the Pic Pilot and the AlTrak in my 9a. I had a problem with the program box for the AlTrak early on but TruTrak took care of the problem quickly and at no cost to me. This combo flys my plane most of the time and both the Pic Pilot and the AlTrak are rock solid. They sure make long cross country flights so much easier!!!

All the Best,

Dave B.

Back