Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM

Default RV's won't spin inverted?..Oh yes they will..:D

So it happened today..After I had convinced myself that it was not possible to spin an RV inverted I did a hammerhead (with a PX) and started to fall off it backwards...so what to do..well push forwards of course.

waited to see 40 knots still pushing, then a big bootful of left rudder..hardly moved..add a bit of right aileron and bang!..the thing snapped over really fast and it took me at least a whole revolution to realise what was going on.

Inverted, fully developed spin and it was moving round quite nicely thankyou very much!

I probably went round 3 or 4 times before I figured which rudder would stop the spin..I'm glad my harness was on tight cus I was thrown against it hard, as it was I don't think I managed to use full oppostie rudder.

So be warned doing hammerheads..It will spin..Impressively well.

My advice is if your starting to fall backwards near the top of the vertical..pull the stick back and let it fall off.

What a rush!!

Frank
Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankh View Post
I probably went round 3 or 4 times before I figured which rudder would stop the spin..I'm glad my harness was on tight cus I was thrown against it hard, as it was I don't think I managed to use full oppostie rudder.
As my instructor used to say in the Pitt's regarding rudder and inverted spins...

If that rudder pedal doesn't work, then use the other one!

L.Adamson
Old 04-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Default yes that was about it

I wasn't all that bothered about doing them when I trained with Steve Wolfe to be he=onest but he was pretty adamant I should know how to do them just in case.

I'm sure I would have figured it out before I got dangerously low but spin recovery from the invert I would consider to be a mandatory skill when doing hammerheads from now on.

Frank
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM

The first couple of times I tried a hammerhead the plane went inverted. I spoke with an acro pilot that happened to be in the area the following week and he gave me a lesson on flying. He claimed that I had not come to a stop while going vertical and the wings were still producing lift. I went out and tried again and all has been well since. He had had some time in RV's and knew their characteristics. I can't remember his name but he flies one of those Russian acro planes which I can't remember how to spell. He was the Canadian acro champ at the time and representing Canada in the world acro contest.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Deja Vu! The first time that happened to me many moons ago in an RV6 I was caught pretty off guard. There you are, going straight up...then a little past straight up....then pushing on the stick....then airspeed going away....then BANG....the thing is spinning the wrong way upside down.

I remember landing after that ungraceful affair and telling a friend back and the airport that I just did my first inadvertent accidental inverted spin. Before I could explain, he laughed and said "Ya pig flopped over on yer back out of a hammerhead, didn't ya"!! (He's a pretty skilled Aerobatic pilot that had an Eagle at the time, now has a Pitts 12) and he knew right away what I did.

Anyway, do be careful. Hammerheads look so easy and innocent, but in reality can be so dangerous. These are great planes, but they will bite if you let them.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 PM

Default hehe

yeah it got my attention..I was particularly impressed cus I have purposely tried to get the thing into an invert spin before..but just couldn't do it

Little did i know the hammerhead is a WAY more effective method..
Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 PM

Default And

Did I have my camera rolling..OF course not..Will have to do it again now..
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 PM

Frank, thanks for the post and allowing others to learn from your experience. I am glad things turned out OK.

Luis Luciani
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Adamson View Post
As my instructor used to say in the Pitt's regarding rudder and inverted spins...

If that rudder pedal doesn't work, then use the other one!

L.Adamson
Steve Wolf once told me, " If you're spinning and confused about which rudder pedal to push on, look at the pedals and step on the one closest to you."
Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 AM

Default Any problem restarting..

...the engine? How much oil on the belly?

Thanks for the advice,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.