What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sealin the tank issue

rwshooter

Well Known Member
I'm about to seal up my first tank....baffle install....when double checking everything out before hand, I noticed a bum rivet at the inspection plate nutplate rivet....I prosealed that area yesterday...so when I drilled out the rivet, I sent shavings inside and out of the inboard rib....inbedded in the proseal...I've tried to brush them out to no avail...help?.....what to do next

Robb.....gonna finish this first wing ....this weekend

Take a deep breath and get all of the **** out of the tank before sealing it up. (period). Sounds like the rear baffle is still off. You have all the time in the world to work on it. It might be useful to even let some of the new proseal to stiffen more (a few weeks) to extract and reseal where some of the drillings landed.

if you do find that you need to drill around proseal that is not yet set up you can try making a tape nest around the rivet to catch and contain shavings.

ONE MORE QUESTION

I fixed the shaving issue in the proseal and installed the baffle....all went well....Ive seen some people using different screws for attaching the inspection plate, they look good and I'm going with it but most are also using proseal along with the cork gasket to seal up the plate and screws. Is this good if someday you may need access?

Robb

Don't use the cork gasket!

Use proseal only. The cork gasket will soak up and begin to seep after a few years. I've removed many of them.
Use proseal and hex cap screws.

They make a version of proseal that is for removable plates, I don't remember the p/n, but it is pink in the tube before it's mixed. Helps greatly if you ever have to remove the inspection plate.

That would be the....

They make a version of proseal that is for removable plates, I don't remember the p/n, but it is pink in the tube before it's mixed. Helps greatly if you ever have to remove the inspection plate.

...same stuff that seals the access plates on the lower surface of my Tiger wings.

It is "low adhesion" FlameMaster CS3330B-2 or Desoto/PRC PR1428B.

This is one unverified source - SealPak Company, Wichita, KS. Phone is 316-942-6211 - A verified source is Fletchair in TX http://www.fletchair.com/

More info here on VAF

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/tank_sealant.pdf

Thanks Mel

Use proseal only. The cork gasket will soak up and begin to seep after a few years. I've removed many of them.
Use proseal and hex cap screws.

I am not flying yet and I have the Cork Gaskets, I was not aware of their poor longevity.:(

I will be switching to pro-seal, if not before I fly, then at the first condition inspection one year later, when I have a good look-see at the fledgling's spar.

I had already used the Hex Head Screws NAS1096 or NAS1801's on this cover for ease of installation and removal with the torque controlled screwdriver.

If other readers are not familiar with these, they are a terrific for non slipstream uses, clamps, brackets, covers etc.

To see the tech sheet go to:

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/nas1801_2.pdf

Back