What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon autopilot is now for sale!

kboyd59

Go to Dynon's website click on news and then articles, Dynon released for sale there autopilot and other hardware.

Cool! They added trim sensing and annunciation as well as added preselects to the AP74! Thats great!

Looks like they did a great job on the installation documents as well. Good 3D models/drwgs.

As I've hinted at in past post, this thing works great! The pre-selects and trim indications are just awesome!

There are some other features and functions of this unit that are just outstanding.

The trim indicator is cool because once you get the plane trimmed and turn off altitude hold, it will continue on straight and level.

There are a lot of user definable options, so when you set it up take your time to read and understand what they are.

Just a note that though we've started shipping autopilot servos/mounting kits/AP74 units now, the firmware update to actually turn our screens into the full-fledged autopilot is still undergoing the final stages of testing. We expect to have the accompanying firmware update sometime in November.

See www.dynonavionics.com for full details on the pre-release.

Excellent news.

I hope Dynon releases the RV12 servo and kits soon. The RV12 is proving very popular, and with a Dynon D180 as part of standard instruments an Dynon AutoPilot would be perfect.

Regards
Rudi

The RV-12 servo is the SV32. We don't need to do special servos for individual airplanes, we just need to know what strength servo an airframe needs. There is no mounting kit from us since that is supplied by Vans as part if the kit. Given that the RV-12 in the US is a E-LSA, it must be built to the manufacturer's specs, so Vans has more to do with allowing it than us.

That being said, they are absolutely supporting it. We have worked with them a lot on the RV-12 project, and I believe the mounting brackets are just designed right into the airframe. Not 100% sure yet how they are hooking to the control surfaces.

L wing roll installation?

Dynonsupport,

Can the roll servo be installed in the L wing rather than the R? If not currently, will this become available in the future (soon?)?

thanks,
greg

You can mount the servo wherever you want, but our kit only gives you the stuff for the right wing. It wouldn't take much work to make the bracket and bellcrank plate for the left wing instead, and the other hardware would be the same.

We're not planning on doing a kit ourselves for the left wing.

There is no mounting kit from us since that is supplied by Vans as part if the kit.

Confusion reigns supreme...:(

I don't find an autopilot kit anywhere on the Vans site after a search this morning - am I missing something, have they not updated the site yet, or do you mean Vans supplies the mounting kit TO YOU which you ship with the AP? I'll be closing out my right wing by the end of the year, so I'm getting quite close to needing that mount kit and servo.

Confusion reigns supreme...:(

I don't find an autopilot kit anywhere on the Vans site after a search this morning - am I missing something, have they not updated the site yet, or do you mean Vans supplies the mounting kit TO YOU which you ship with the AP? I'll be closing out my right wing by the end of the year, so I'm getting quite close to needing that mount kit and servo.
Greg,

I believe they are talking about the RV-12 mounting kit only. Contact Dynon for the RV-9 mounting kits.

Last edited:
Bill is right. I was only talking about the RV-12. For al other RV's, we sell the brackets and mounting kits direct. We even have full install kit documentation on our site already.

Is it still compatible with the Tru-Trak servo mounting? I put in a tru-trak pitch servo bracket when I was building the fuse.

Bill is right. I was only talking about the RV-12. For al other RV's, we sell the brackets and mounting kits direct. We even have full install kit documentation on our site already.

Excellent. I'll be placing an order shortly.

They Dynon servos do still use the same mounting points as a TruTrak servo. If you happen to already have brackets for a TruTrak, they will drop right in. You may still want to buy the kit from us depending on if you have all the pushrods and other hardware.

Back