What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable vs. Panel mounted GPS

N941WR

Legacy Member
OK, time to start a debate?

Boxers or Briefs? Tastes great or less filling? Blonds, brunets, or redheads? Panel mounted GPS or removable portable GPS?

When I built my panel I elected to use an AirGizmo to hold my 496, which is connected to the Dynon D100 EFIS.

On a number of occasions, upon reaching our destination, I have pulled the 496 out of the panel, switched it over to automobile mode and used it to navigate from the airport to my final destination.

This capability was enough for me to avoid installing an all-in-one EFIS w/ integrated GPS.

Did any of the rest of you take this added functionality into account when designing your panels?

I think it depends much on if your EFIS has a moving map or not.

The ones with the MM are easier to use without a X96 by adding a behind the panel/Hockey puck GPS.

If you need IFR capability then the panel mount is your only choice or put both.

I love the idea that I can pop out the 496 take it with me and use all its features in the car.

IFR - yes or no

If you fly IFR, or plane to get your ticket - decision made for you if you plan to use a GPS for navigation.

Do both....like having your cake and eating it too.

I'm with Webb and do both, but I love having my 496 sitting on the dash of my truck when I'm not flying. Weather, turn by turn, moving map, accurate speed in my line of site without looking at the speedometer, wind info, barometric info, volts, (you can change the data fields to what ever you want.)

But the most important flying situation for me is I can take the 496 in any plane I'm flying! or loan it to a buddy. :mad:

STORY TIME! = I loaned my Australian buddy my 496 for a CC trip so he could deliver a plane. When It got it back he had changed EVERYTHING! It was speaking in Portuguese,( I'm NOT of Portuguese descent, nor do I speak Portugese) every measurement was metric, AND he had activated the "DRAGGING ANCHOR" marine warning. Every time I took off in my plane I got a "Dragging Anchor" alarm! :eek: It took my 3 months to figure out how to shut it off. :mad: Moral of the story? Aussies have warped senses of humor. ;)

Advantage: Portable GPS

Last edited:
Back