What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phantom nutplates

woxofswa

Well Known Member
I am working on a legacy build RV10 Fuselage kit.

On page 28-2, it shows parts 1043C left and right.

The text says to drill the nutplate holes and countersink them from the inside of the FWD fuselage rib.

However, the illustration on the page only shows #30 holes on that flange of the parts. The parts themselves only have #30 holes on that flange.

Just to make things more confusing, the diagrams on the following pages show two nutplates and holes on those flanges, but when you get to page 28-11 you're back to just #30 holes on the illustration.

Both pages have the same revision date.

I always find this stuff when I've got a full night planned and tech support is closed.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
I just looked at that page and I'm not sure I understand the question. Figure 3 on 28-2 shows the nutplates on those parts.

Bob
N442PM (flying)

Bob,
Thanks for your interest.
The issue is the flange that mates to the fuselage rib. Page 28-2 shows nutplates on one flange and nothing but #30 holes on the other (the one that mates to the fuselage rib.) The text on step 2 describes holes for the nutplates and how to countersink the fuselage ribs for them.

Now looking at the next few pages, they show nutplates on BOTH flanges in their diagrams, until you get to 28-11 and it is back to just #30 holes on that flange.

I spoke with Van's. The nutplates in question were deleted in a recent revision and apparently not all of the plan pages were updated.

In studying these pages trying to figure this out, I have since noted that the part 1048C fuel valve bracket is depicted flanges down on some pages and flanges up on others. Sigh.

I just got to this step. My plans are dated 7/24/2014 "Revision 0" and still show the nutplate holes on the F-1048-L and -R ribs and F-1043C angles, but neither part as shipped with the kit is punched for those holes. My fuselage kit was purchased in 2018. The digital plans I bought in 2015 also still show these holes (same revision and date).

Thanks to the people who replied and checked with Van's back in 2008 on this!

Sure wish they'd update the plans...

Glad I wasn’t the only one who had that question. I just pressed on assuming there were no nut plates.

Back