What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I had a case of premature

eison

Dimpling.:eek: I got an itchy trigger foot on that darn foot switch on the pnuematic squeezer. I now have a hole that is about 1/4 inch from the hole that I wanted to dimple.

If it had been in the middle of the skin, no problem, I would throw in a rivet and be done with it. My problem and concern is that the hole is about 1/2 in the dimple for the rivet, and is actually connected to the hole beside it. I am doing a poor job describing it, but it looks sort of like a figure 8 with the bottom of the figure 8 being the "good" hole and the top being the "oops" hole. I tried to take a picture, but couldn't get the camera to focus well enough.

The dimple will keep me from being able to put a rivet in both holes. This is on the top of the HS skin, at the back where it connects to the HS Spar. It is in the middle of the sheet, not on a rib.

From a cosmetic standpoint, I think that it can be filled no problem. From a structural standpoint, I can't imagine it will have an impact as it is in the middle of a row of rivets. Am I wrong?

My main question is will the figure 8 hole cause future stress cracks in the HS skin? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this issue now? Should I just suck it up and buy a new skin? I hate to wait on parts, but I don't want to be cussing at myself later.

Eric
Rv 10
Kit 764

If it makes you feel any better, I did this on my vertical stab. I knew that the emp fairing would cover it so I didn't worry about it. I simply flattened the metal, dimpled the proper hole, deburred the errant hole the best I could and I look at it when I have the emp fairing off. I'm not losing any sleep over it, although I'm sure others will respond and tell me how it's going to kill me. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club <g>.

Rivet on. Don't replace the skin.

It's a known fact that all skins need an imperfection to let out the evil spirits.....or at least that's what someone told me :eek:.

Fill it before painting.

No biggie.

b,
d

Dimpling.:eek: I got an itchy trigger foot on that darn foot switch on the pnuematic squeezer. I now have a hole that is about 1/4 inch from the hole that I wanted to dimple.

If it had been in the middle of the skin, no problem, I would throw in a rivet and be done with it. My problem and concern is that the hole is about 1/2 in the dimple for the rivet, and is actually connected to the hole beside it. I am doing a poor job describing it, but it looks sort of like a figure 8 with the bottom of the figure 8 being the "good" hole and the top being the "oops" hole. I tried to take a picture, but couldn't get the camera to focus well enough.

The dimple will keep me from being able to put a rivet in both holes. This is on the top of the HS skin, at the back where it connects to the HS Spar. It is in the middle of the sheet, not on a rib.

From a cosmetic standpoint, I think that it can be filled no problem. From a structural standpoint, I can't imagine it will have an impact as it is in the middle of a row of rivets. Am I wrong?

My main question is will the figure 8 hole cause future stress cracks in the HS skin? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this issue now? Should I just suck it up and buy a new skin? I hate to wait on parts, but I don't want to be cussing at myself later.

Eric
Rv 10
Kit 764

I had one as well, in my right HS skin, same deal with the hand held trigger instead of the foot feeder. Mine was far enough off the intended hole that it didn't interfere, so I just flattened it out and kept going.

Then a few days later I realized I had screwed up my spar :eek: and was going to have to replace that, so I went ahead and ordered a new skin since the old one was already matchdrilled and dimpled to the spar. Necessary? Maybe, maybe not. But I felt better about it.

Twice shy

I've paid membership dues into this club twice now. One is a figure eight where a stiffener joins the fuse side. The other is an independant hole on the HS covered by the fairing.

I've lost sleep on some of my mistakes, but not these two.

Eric

Like they have said, just flatten the dimple out and move on. You can fix a lot of stuff when you paint.

I see this was you first post, welcome. If you ever need someone to look your plane over, let me know I work in Irvine and enjoy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.:D

Cam,

I would enjoy having you take a look. I will work on the Pale Ale. :D:D

I will send you a PM with the particulars.

Eric

Back