What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AutoPilot Panel Location

N941WR

Legacy Member
I'm thinking of possibly installing an Auto Pilot in my -9 and need some help deciding where to put the AP head in the panel.

My -9 is currently a VFR only ship but sometime in the future I would like to upgrade it to IFR so the location of the head might become critical.

Ergonomics are very important to me so the location is critical.

Click on this to see a picture of my current panel:

I have become partial to the chart clip to the left of the radio stack. Thus I prefer to leave that area of the panel blank so I wouldn’t have to lift charts/approach plates to get to the AP head.

This left me thinking of installing the AP head either below the EFIS but to the right of the slip ball or on the right side of the panel, underneath the EMS to the right of the radio stack.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, especially from those of you who fly a lot of IFR in your RV's.

Last edited:
TruTrak ADI

Bill

I would suggest the Trutrak ADI as you could go with it in the place of the slip ball you currently have and this becomes a backup to the EFIS.

http://www.steinair.com/trutrak.htm

When I bought mine it was not available in a 2 1/4 version so if space is tight you could go with the smaller one. Also if you want a dual axis version go with the ADI II.

Here is what mine looks like. I have since added 2 toggle switches below the AP for on/off and control wheel steering.

Fuselage%201107.jpg

As you said

Bill,

I also have the large Dynon Efis & I put my AP head as you described...below & right. I have the TruTrack pictorial turn & bank to the left.
From what my flying buddies say, it's a good idea to be able to operate the A/P knobs without having to switch stick hands. That was my thinking also.

Back