- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 PM

Default longer pop rivet needed ?

I am ready to close the to skin over the panel area. Along the longeron and especially under the roll bar mount I have lots of wires. I have to rivet the top skin through the side skin and longeron. It is impossible to get a bucking bar in some of these locations. I am willing to use pop rivets but I think the grip length on the 3/32 is too short (.125). Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Thumbs up Gauge it.

Use a cherry gauge and check the length.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew phillips View Post
I am ready to close the to skin over the panel area. Along the longeron and especially under the roll bar mount I have lots of wires. I have to rivet the top skin through the side skin and longeron. It is impossible to get a bucking bar in some of these locations...... Any suggestions?
I just did that a few days ago on the -8 project. Like my 6A, those holes I deemed impossible or impractical to access with a bucking bar, I reamed to #30 and slightly machine countersunk the dimples and inserted CR3212-4 Cherry rivets. It is VERY important to use a grip gage to determine the correct length Cherry rivet. A single Cherry rivet is pricey and range from $0.45 to $1.23 each for -3 through -8. The photo shows the use of a combination of solid rivets and Cherry rivets. Since the CR3212 stem breaks off flush with the surface, its profile blends in well enough with solid rivets and after prep and paint becomes virtually indistinguishable from the rest.

EAA Technical Counselor
Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 AM

Default A few questions on using Cherry Rivets

Trying to address the same issue raised by the previous posters in this thread. Specifically which rivets to use for the rivets that go through the longeron.

Rick mentioned using CR3212 which required countersinking the already dimples skin.

I also found a CCR264SS rivet (at Wicks) that is a 3/32 rivet. Will this rivet fit in a standard 3/32 dimple and is this an good option?

Since I don't have a Cherrymax grip gauge handy, is there a solid rivet cross reference? The rivets I need are to replace a -6 solid rivet.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Default Don't use CCR264SS blind rivets

The rivets above are not structural and are only good for attaching nutplates and other non structural things. Don't use them on the skins or other stressed parts of the airplane.

Bruce Reynolds
RV-6A
Old 06-19-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_A View Post
Since I don't have a Cherrymax grip gauge handy, is there a solid rivet cross reference? The rivets I need are to replace a -6 solid rivet.
You don't need a an expensive grip gauge if you know the total thickness of what you're riveting through. The Cherrymax page at Aircraft Spruce shows you grip ranges for each size rivet. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../cherrymax.php
Good luck.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2021
Old 06-19-2008, 12:46 PM

Default bucking bar

I made a special bucking bar from 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate stock. It was approx 6" long x 2" wide. Shaped kinda like the state of Utah. Worked great on the rivets under the slider roll bar / longeron / center section uprights.

Steve