Keep VAF Going
w/a Donation

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2023, 01:18 PM

Default Trim buttons on Control sticks not working

I'm in the process of attaching the empennage, and wanted to verify everything before final riveting. ( No wings attached )

In my shop, with everything powered up, good voltages...
I cannot get the trim buttons on the sticks to work.
From the Garmin side ( configuration menu ) all is good. I can do full up trim and full down trim via the Garmin menus. ( Strange thing also, the full up and full-down trim voltages seem reversed. I can fix that, but...)

Everything else seems to work great. This is the only issue I have right now with the electrics.

I've downloaded the latest everything, re-loaded everything ( config files, g3X updates...). I can hear the pitch servo click when changing indicated airspeed to true airspeed.

I've also been studying the wiring diagrams and wondering if it's an AV-60000 problem. I even tried disconnecting the pilot side stick, but not the co-pilot side yet.
Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231118_174535564.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	51361  
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7buPHH99v

Last edited by thiggins : 11-19-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:09 PM

Have you tried jumpering voltage directly to the trim servo just to confirm itís working correctly? A 9-V battery is all you need. If you can jumper it at the DB9 connector at the AV-60000 it would confirm your connection at the servo too.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Y View Post
Have you tried jumpering voltage directly to the trim servo just to confirm itís working correctly? A 9-V battery is all you need. If you can jumper it at the DB9 connector at the AV-60000 it would confirm your connection at the servo too.
ďÖ From the Garmin side ( configuration menu ) all is good. I can do full up trim and full down trim via the Garmin menus.ÖĒ

Yes, trim motor works fine, I can test it from the Garmin configuration menu successfully.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:20 PM

Are your stick grips rated to carry the current required for the trim system? I know some of the Ray Allen grips need to be paired with relays because of that issue.
2019? (actually 2022) RV-10 N46BX
Old 11-19-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Are your stick grips rated to carry the current required for the trim system? I know some of the Ray Allen grips need to be paired with relays because of that issue.
Yes, they are provided in the kit, by Vans. This is an E-LSA build.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:30 PM

Just check the wires go to the correct pins on the 50 pin connector . We were tracking down a couple of problems and found the wires were in incorrect pin holes on the large connector . Four wires so far and I suspect we will find more with the latest problem we have. The circuit diagrams on the downloads page are available to help. I donít think the checking on the supplied loom is all that good.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:44 PM

Default Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenC View Post
Just check the wires go to the correct pins on the 50 pin connector . We were tracking down a couple of problems and found the wires were in incorrect pin holes on the large connector . Four wires so far and I suspect we will find more with the latest problem we have. The circuit diagrams on the downloads page are available to help. I don’t think the checking on the supplied loom is all that good.
Yep. Start by checking the wires that operate trim. Make a jumper with the correct gender pins and jumper them a pair at a time. If the Garmin runs the trim, it has to be between the sticks and the final D-sub. If none work, my money is on an open ground wire.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/2022, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 11-19-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Yep. Start by checking the wires that operate trim. Make a humper with the correct gender pins and jumper them a pair at a time. If the Garmin runs the trim, it has to be between the sticks and the final D-sub. If none work, my money is on an open ground wire.
All the other buttons on both sticks work, so ground there must be good.
Garmin drives the trim motor fine. 50 pin Dsub ? Very confident the 9 pin is good.
Old 11-19-2023, 03:13 PM

Default Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
All the other buttons on both sticks work, so ground there must be good.
Garmin drives the trim motor fine. 50 pin Dsub ? Very confident the 9 pin is good.
Easy to find out. Like I said. Short the correct pairs starting at the connector closest to the system and work outwards.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/2022, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Easy to find out. Like I said. Short the correct pairs starting at the connector closest to the system and work outwards.
Thanks for the help.

I just checked the pins on everything with "trim" on it:
AV 50 pin and 9 pin, pitch servo, sticks, trim motor itself...
Nothing obvious, no wrong wire colors, nothing fell out.

I will try your plan and bridge the pins (trim up and down) to ground going into the AV-60000