What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12iS B.U.D.S. Connection Issue

Bob Y

Well Known Member
Note, this is an iS issue…. I’m trying to resolve why when I connect my Level 2 BUDS dongle to the data port, the software will not recognize the ECU. I first tried to download a friend’s data logs from his 12iS and BUDS couldn’t see the ECU. No recognition of the engine serial number and no Lane indicators - engine page never changed after powering up the ECU. LED on the dongle is solid when plugged into the USB pots and flashes when BUDS opens, just like it should. I’ve successfully used the dongle for over two years on mine and another friend’s 12iS. I always plug the dongle into an unpowered ECU after starting the software. Here are all the things I’ve tried:

1. Tried two different 12iS aircraft
  2. Tried two different pcs
  3. Tried two different serial extension cables
  4. Tried BUDS v3.0 and v4.0
  5. Tried all three USB ports on the pc
  6. Verified there is voltage at the pins at the end of the extension cables
  7. Sent the dongle to Lockwood and it worked fine for them on pcs running Windows 10 & 11. Both of our pcs are running Windows 10, and ours and Lockwood’s are up-to-date on patches.

I’ve posted the issue to the Rotax Owners forum without anyone offering having experienced the same issue. I’m running out of ideas having exhausted all my substitutional troubleshooting options, except possibly one…

Have any of you 12iS guys had your ECU logs downloaded since replacing your HIC modules? It’s a stretch, but running out of common denominators. Anxious to hear what you guys say.

Last edited:
Thanks, but yes, I performed that SB and have successfully downloaded the logs since making the change. At the suggestion from one of the gurus on the Rotax Owners forum I connected the dongle directly to the maintenance port, but the same result. I even removed it from the avionics shelf to be sure I was getting a good connection.

So nobody has downloaded their ECU logs since the HIC replacement?

I also have the same issue - I took my iS to the local NZ Rotax agent last month to get them to do the annual on the engine, and they were unable to connect to the ECU via the mtce port with their buds software & dongle.

I removed the mtce port from the avionics shelf to rule out a bad pin connection (I just velcro it under the shelf now) but I am still getting the same issue and they can't connect to the ECU.

I do also have the new HIC module fitted, so not sure if this is the common denominator, but last time I had them plug in the dongle and download the data ok was when i had the old module installed - so you have me wondering now!!

Paul

Last edited:
Thank you! The HIC module is only supposed to tie the A and B CAN bus signals together and pass them through, I’m wondering if they might have gotten reversed in the new circuit? I’m heading back to the hangar this morning and will reverse the pins and report back. And I too disconnected my serial port from the avionics shelf to make sure I was getting a solid connection, with no improvement. Anxious to see what I learn. Stand by…

Success!!!! The HI and LOW connections in the new HIC are reversed! So, us iS owners appear to have another SB coming our way.

And for anyone with an iS that has paid an A&P to perform a 100 interval Rotax engine inspection since replacing the HIC module, I’d suggest looking at the Rotax check list to see if the task for downloading the ECU logs is checked off.

I’ll notify Van’s Support of the issue.

Success!!!! The HI and LOW connections in the new HIC are reversed! So, us iS owners appear to have another SB coming our way.

And for anyone with an iS that has paid an A&P to perform a 100 interval Rotax engine inspection since replacing the HIC module, I’d suggest looking at the Rotax check list to see if the task for downloading the ECU logs is checked off.

I’ll notify Van’s Support of the issue.

I'm sorry to inform everyone, but the Rotax Maintenance Port (CAN bus) wiring was changed on the AV-60009-2 HIC Module. This latest HIC PCB was designed using the original (correct) HIC design plans. The problem is, the previous HIC PCB had pins 14 and 15 (Maint. CAN Bus HI & Low) reversed. That was the reason for SL-00009.

The updated wiring schematic and associated Service Letter have yet to be released, I expect it will be released soon.

If you cannot get the BUDS dongle to connect to the ECU, you can swap the CAN Bus wires at the easy-to-access 9-pin Maintenance Port connector instead of messing with them in the 25-pin HIC connector, for ease of access.

As always Tony, you have excellent knowledge! :) Thank you, thank you, thank you! From both me and Frank.

BTW, I saw your plane at OSH last year… beautiful job putting it together.

I'm sorry to inform everyone, but the Rotax Maintenance Port (CAN bus) wiring was changed on the AV-60009-2 HIC Module. This latest HIC PCB was designed using the original (correct) HIC design plans. The problem is, the previous HIC PCB had pins 14 and 15 (Maint. CAN Bus HI & Low) reversed. That was the reason for SL-00009.

The updated wiring schematic and associated Service Letter have yet to be released, I expect it will be released soon.

If you cannot get the BUDS dongle to connect to the ECU, you can swap the CAN Bus wires at the easy-to-access 9-pin Maintenance Port connector instead of messing with them in the 25-pin HIC connector, for ease of access.

Just working through this today, can confirm swapping pin 2 and 7 on the DSUB9 maintenance port is what allowed the Rotax BUDS system to connect.

Fly safe!
-Jim

RV-12iS

Yep, I asked if I needed to do SL-0009 before changing to new HIC upgrade.
No, but my Rotax B.U.D.S system does not work now. Grin

Yep the short cut is with the confirmed swapping pin 2 and 7 on the DSUB9 maintenance port is what allowed the Rotax BUDS system to connect. Grin

Back