What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parts Availability?

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hello,
I am contemplating selling my -12 and buying a -6.
However, I am concerned about parts availability for the -6. Does Van's still support this aircraft even though kit production has stopped? Are any of the -7 parts useable on the-6? As an example, flight controls?

Thank you

Built a 7A, and have 600+ hours on it. Worked on a few 6’s over the years, and one currently. They share several parts with 7’s (at least material wise). Helped build a new 6 rudder a few years ago. Would not hesitate purchasing one. Cant see any issues with lack of support our parts.

All pushrod tubes on flight controls are the same as my plane, just different dimensions. Would not affect you getting parts.

Hello,
I am contemplating selling my -12 and buying a -6.
However, I am concerned about parts availability for the -6. Does Van's still support this aircraft even though kit production has stopped? Are any of the -7 parts useable on the-6? As an example, flight controls?

Thank you

The RV6 is the most popular experiential aircraft EVER!!! Van's will have parts for the six for as long as they are in business.

I chose the RV6 because every airframe part can be reproduced from the plans. That is something that the RV7 and above can't do...... You don't need Van's for any airframe part. But as long as they provide them, the easier it is to fix things.

There are many certificated aircraft that have not been manufactured in years. But well educated A&P's have kept them in the air for years after there was no support from the company that built them.

Go buy your RV6 and enjoy.

The RV-6 is still supported by Vans but there may be long delays in obtaining parts and they may be more expensive than equivalent parts for current model aircraft. See Van's letter for background:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/letter-rv-3-4-6p1/

I'm not sure what is meant by "flight controls"? If this means control surfaces e.g. flaps and ailerons, then they are not the same as the RV-7 that has a different wing. Rudder pedals would be the same.

There's many RV-6s still flying and still being built (like mine). They are a different style of kit to the newer pre-punched and better documented kits, so whoever maintains it will need to be a bit resourceful.

Thanks

Thanks gentlemen for the excellent feedback. Points well taken. I'll be putting my -12 up for sale next month after I complete the condition inspection. More questions coming your way....

Thanks again
Jack

Back