What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Elevator Servo Bracket Install

smithhb

Well Known Member
Today I attempted to install my TT elevator servo bracket in my -9A and immediately hit a snag. The "Installation Instructions" provided on the TT website fail to give the dimensions for where to install the bracket. I'm not sure how the bottom brace is designed in the -6 and -7 but the instructions show a different design than the -9.

Does anyone who has installed this thing in their -9 have a picture or two? I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, I do not yet have the servo so I cannot use a final install configuration to "back into" the final location. Here is the TT instructions... http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/documents/RV-679PitchInstall.pdf

Last edited:
Mystery Dimensions

Mike,

Thanks for the reference...but you say "On to the mounting of the pitch servo bracket. I drew a line 2.8" from where the elevator bellcrank pivots, as indicated in the trutrack drawings."

My question is where did you get the 2.8" dimension? I just checked the drawings again and the dimension is missing.

True Track

Bret, I saw your message also on the Yahoo group and replied, I will send you a photo of mine tomorrow (Sunday).

smithhb said:
My question is where did you get the 2.8" dimension? I just checked the drawings again and the dimension is missing.

Bret,

It took me a while, but I found the original drawings that shipped with my kit. They did indeed show the 2.8" measurements. I scanned them in for you to take a peek. I have no idea why TT revised them w/o this measurement.

http://www.rvplane.com/pdf/TruTrak_PitchServo.pdf

Enjoy!

What a convenient post. I just today, did partial installation of my Tru Trak pitch platform.

I had the drawings with the demensions listed, but was somewhat confused by the support not having the angle on the same side where it matches to the bottom skin. I thought the RV6 was different from the 7. I wasn't sure that I wanted to put rivets through the bottom skin without that angle support.

I guess maybe it is OK. I was going to call Tru Trak tomorrow, now I won't have to.
;)

Resolved!

Well, thanks to Mike Bullock, I have successfully installed my TT bracket. Apparently, the installation instructions offered on the TruTrak website have been altered and currently omit the critical 2.8" dimension. Mike was able to show me his copy of an older version which had the dimension.

Installation was a snap. You can see my modification by adding an additional row of rivets near the bottom of the bracket. I decided against riveting through the bottom as this thing isn't going nowhere.

Thanks everyone for the help!
070909i.jpg

What did you do for a spacer

Bret,

What did you use for a spacer on the bellcrank portion for the autopilot pushrod? Did you make the spacer out of some scrap .063 to fit in between the left and right bellcrank components? I don't see anything riveted for this piece?

Mike

No spacer needed. The hole for the pushrod is just below the spacer where the bellcrank is riveted and is close enough to limit any deflection when the pushrod bolt is torqued. I did use two washers between the bellcrank and the rod end bearing.

070909c.jpg

I may insert these two washers between the two "halves" of the bellcrank when I final assemble though.

Last edited:
Measurements

I just received my servos/brackets yesterday. The drawings that came with mine did include the elusive measurements, so I guess they caught their mistake already.

Back