- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:24 AM

Default Bonderite M-CR 1201

I was planning to use the 1201 product for corrosion resistance on my Skybolt flanges attached to the firewall. But, the instructions for the Henkel product indicate to paint after application, washing and drying. I wasn't planning to paint the flanges, but leave them treated. I contacted Henkel, but so far, no answer.

Anybody have experience with not painting after treating with 1201?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonderite Instructions.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	29026
Slo Fuse Completed 3-2-21
Wiring and Avionics Begun 3-3-21
QB Wings Begun 3-1-22
Finish Kit and FWF work in progress
2022 Dues Paid
Reserved: N52XL
Old 08-04-2022, 10:48 AM

I may be wrong but I think this means...if your going to paint, do it immediately after drying.

There are lots of parts that are alodined and not painted.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring and Avionics harness completed 9/2/2021
FWF Started 9/3/2021

Donated for 2022 and so should you
Old 08-04-2022, 11:00 AM

Default Alodine

Yes. No worries. That's how lots of small parts on my plane are done. Alodine only. Save weight.
I use heavy baggies for sloshing. Waste products go into a gallon jug. When it's full, it goes to the haz mat waste site in Loveland/Ft Collins
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:10 AM

Alodine and Bonderite 1205 are equivalent?
QB Wings Begun 3-1-22
2022 Dues Paid
Old 08-04-2022, 11:12 AM

Default Alodine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
Alodine and Bonderite 1205 are equivalent?
Henkel changed the product’s name from “Alodine” to “Bonderite” as part of a “branding strategy” begun in 2014. In identifying the product, as seen on the*safety data sheet for Bonderite M-CR 1201 AERO, the company continues to note “known as Alodine.” For clarity, the*Henkel website*includes a statement regarding the new branding: “There will be no changes to the product’s chemical formulation…[or] specifications…All approvals and certifications will remain valid.”
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Henkel changed the product’s name from “Alodine” to “Bonderite” as part of a “branding strategy” begun in 2014. In identifying the product, as seen on the*safety data sheet for Bonderite M-CR 1201 AERO, the company continues to note “known as Alodine.” For clarity, the*Henkel website*includes a statement regarding the new branding: “There will be no changes to the product’s chemical formulation…[or] specifications…All approvals and certifications will remain valid.”
Excellent. Thanks Larry.
QB Wings Begun 3-1-22
2022 Dues Paid
Old 08-04-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I heard (but haven't confirmed) that the name change drove the creation of an AD. All of the big plane maintenance manuals called out Alodine and officially it didn't exist anymore. Bonderite wasn't on the approved substitutions list, so an AD was generated to allow the substitution.
RV-14A Kit#140433
Completed: Vertical Stab, Horizontal Stab, Elevator, Rudder #2
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Aft Fuselage, Wing Spar
Wing Kit Ordered 21 June 2021, Arrived May 6 2022
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on May 2022
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" (rhymes with "booze") is the opposite of "find". "Loose" (rhymes with "juice") means "not tight".
Old 08-04-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
I was planning to use the 1201 product for corrosion resistance on my Skybolt flanges attached to the firewall. But, the instructions for the Henkel product indicate to paint after application, washing and drying. I wasn't planning to paint the flanges, but leave them treated. I contacted Henkel, but so far, no answer.

Anybody have experience with not painting after treating with 1201?

Attachment 29026
All of my interior aluminum that is not visible was alodine with the same stuff and left unprimed and unpainted. I primed the mating surfaces before riveting. I think the instructions are for the commercial use where alodine is required before priming and painting
Days to AWC: 999
Days to First Flight: 999
Painting: 50% completed
Donation paid through 2022
Old 08-05-2022, 05:08 AM

Default Paint prep for most aircraft..

At my day job of 42 years maintaining/repairing airliners and large military aircraft, Alodine, now Bonderite is a mainstay used daily. In virtually every Structural Repair Manual (SRM), this etch chemical is a requirement prior to final prime/paint, or adhesive bonding of metal to metal. It creates a controlled etching of the surface to promote adhesion. It is also called out for aluminum that will not be painted and subjected to the elements especially where Alclad has been removed for blendout, ect. I also use it for engine baffling on GA aircraft as well as my personal RV-4, as it makes for a more resistant finish than bare metal, and I don't particularly like painted baffles, as they always end up scratched and chipped. During my RV-4 build, I had access to large dip tanks capable of 18 ft lengths. It made it super easy to dunk virtually every aluminum piece of my project prior to priming, however, hand wiping with soaked cheesecloth , brushing or even spraying works well..with proper PPE of course.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:50 AM

Default Be mindful

No one will argue alodine's effectiveness. Any informed person will not argue its health and environmental hazards; it really is that bad. Dip tanks, capture sluices, etc. are great for capturing the raw application fluid. For the "hobbyists", the rinse water also requires special handling. Be careful and mindful. What makes it effective is hexavalent chrome. It never leaves the environment or your body. I'll state again, it really is that bad.

BTW. Always buy the gold versus the clear. Much easier to see the application, unwanted surface contamination ("water break") and disposal efforts, IMO.