Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2022, 12:50 PM

Default Vans and Aero LED carbon fiber wingtips.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1182946089218671
Exempt, but donated 2022.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:08 PM

Alot of discussion in the FB groups on this about losing antennae or magnetometers in the wingtips with the Carbon Fiber. Regardless, I'd be interested to see what they came up with at Airventure next week.
RV-10 Wing Kit - Inventory Complete - In Storage
Synergy South Fundamentals - Completed 12/2021
My Builder Log/Blog
N704MA Reserved
Old 07-24-2022, 03:46 AM

You can see it, including special introductory pricing, on their website: https://aeroleds.com/products/aerosun-vxi/

It seems to be a bit brighter than the Ziptips (I think those are 10,000 lm?), but as others mentioned, I'd personally be hesitant due to the conductivity of carbon fiber.
RV-10 builder #41623
Build log at http://www.airplane.build/
VAF dues paid
Old 07-24-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdamazio View Post
You can see it, including special introductory pricing, on their website: https://aeroleds.com/products/aerosun-vxi/

It seems to be a bit brighter than the Ziptips (I think those are 10,000 lm?), but as others mentioned, I'd personally be hesitant due to the conductivity of carbon fiber.
I have owned a few sets of AeroLED's over the years and will say they are high quality fixtures. I also have a set of ZipTips v3 for my -10 and also consider them to be high quality as well.

However, your comment about the lumens being less for the ZipTips caught my attention. I'm not aware that Aveo has issued a Lumens spec for brightness on the ZipTips, however I'm attaching a polar candela chart for a wing module that shows 168,000 candela for a each wing, which compares well to the 150,000 candela the AeroLED's provide, indicating the ZipTips are a little over 10% brighter than the AeroLED units (AeroLED did not provide an angle for for measurement, but I'm assuming it is in the runway direction).

To be sure, Lumens is total light a unit provides and Candela is the measured light in a specific direction.

It would be interesting to see the new AeroLED units in real-world comparison to the Aveo ZipTip version 3 units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	28604  

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.

Last edited by rongawer : 07-24-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:33 PM

I'm looking to buy a set of Zip Tips for my RV-14A right now. AeroLED is a great product, but is there anything to recommend these wingtips over the Aveo product?

I couldn't make AirVenture this year unfortunately. I was hoping that Aveo would have some show discount on the Zip Tips this week. I see nothing on their website except you get a free PosiStrobe Daylight with purchase. It looks like just another position light on the tail, so I don't see the need.

If there is anyone at the show and you happen by Aveo's booth (Hangar D, Booth 4040 near one of the side entrances), could you ask if there are any show discounts?
RV-14A Kit#140433
Last section completed: OB Leading Edges
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Fuel Tanks
Wing Kit Ordered 21 June 2021, Arrived May 6 2022
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid January 2023
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" (rhymes with "booze") is the opposite of "find". "Loose" (rhymes with "juice") means "not tight".
Old 07-26-2022, 10:10 PM

Default Zip Tips

Correct… No show “discount” except as you said, you get a free PosiStrobe Daylight with purchase. I mentioned I already had a tail light but it was included with the purchase anyway. I did order the ZipTips for my -10.
KCXO Conroe, Texas
RV-10: Under Construction
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=wcooper
Old 07-27-2022, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOut View Post
is there anything to recommend these wingtips over the Aveo product?
The main advantage I see is that the Aveo factory is in the Czech Republic and apparently much more focused on the commercial and UAV markets, so getting parts can take a few months (but I'm still preferring Aveo for being fiberglass).
RV-10 builder #41623
Build log at http://www.airplane.build/
VAF dues paid
Old 07-27-2022, 08:43 AM

I'm in. I really like my AeroLEDs on the RV12 - very well built quality product, and I deleted the wing tips in my RV 10 wing kit - I like the Aveo and was leaning that way but the carbon fiber and the thinness of the trailing edge looks appealing. I do like the curved lip up of the Aveo product but i suspect its mostly aesthetic - no real winglet type drag reduction?

I guess the Nav archer wingtip antenna might be a thing - can't be a huge base of research on this as yet cause I dont think many have done carbon fiber wing tips as yet?

The fact that Van's is part of this is also attractive. Noticed it made a slide from the presentation yesterday....

Last edited by cactusman : 07-27-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:13 PM

I like the aesthetics of the upturned end on the Zip Tips even though there are no performance benefits. I was quoted a lead time of 6-8 weeks when I inquired about them in May. I won’t be anywhere near needing them until until late this year so that lead time is fine with me.
RV-14A Kit#140433
Last section completed: OB Leading Edges
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Fuel Tanks
Wing Kit Ordered 21 June 2021, Arrived May 6 2022
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid January 2023
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" (rhymes with "booze") is the opposite of "find". "Loose" (rhymes with "juice") means "not tight".
Old 07-28-2022, 05:40 AM

What are the weight savings?