What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanks to Randy at Richmond Aircraft and our VAF Community

vfr800

Well Known Member
One more VAF community save

Flew the -10 from OH to San Antonio, TX for a week of Air Force surgical team training. On the way back home, my brother suggested I meet him at 52F for a quick ramp-side lunch. Ate, fueled up and, in short (intend to provide the add’l details later), needed quick assistance to figure out and resolve a rough running engine issue. Especially with a projected deployment right around the corner, I wanted to get home to my wife and daughter… aka, get-there-itis.

Enter Randy of Richmond Aviation. He heard the rough engine and simply appeared. Knowing this was the heart of RV country, I was relieved to hear and see his RV-specific experience with ~4 RVs in his hangar. If I had better memory, I would have simply known his name from VAF!

In minimal time he diagnosed my fouled spark plugs as the issue, and remained open-minded to any other causes/contributors. He fully cleaned up and checked all 12 plugs and had them re-installed quicker than I imagined. And chit-chat with usual suspects who appeared at his hangar was added entertainment. :D Cowled it back up and did a full run-up without issue.

Overall, Randy is a true maintenance professional, and Johnny on the spot! Shoot, I’d even fly my -10 all the way to his north Texas hangar from Ohio for my next condition inspection. That good. Seriously.

A big thanks to the overall VAF community, DR for creating this place, Randy and the others who supported yesterday, including my SWA brother. Had 50+kt tailwinds for that final leg home, seeing up to 235kt GS. Got home safely just in to kiss my daughter goodnight. Love the RV and our community.

If anyone is looking to reach out to Randy, I should’ve mentioned earlier his handle here is Monkey.

No prior connection, just wish I had his help in my prior 10 years of RV flying! Usually by the time I find someone like him, it’s PCS time and the search is back on in a new location.

Back