What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ice Art - Lakes

AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
All of the lakes near me are fully frozen over except for where streams are involved. Here are several that really were interesting pieces of art I thought. The third one was unique as compared to all the others - it is a spring fed lake so I'm wondering if that might explain the uniqueness. The fourth picture is just an enlargement of the third.

The white areas were frozen over when we received about 6" of snow a week ago, the other areas having frozen over since then.

Attachments

• IMG_20211210_110244552.jpg
    IMG_20211210_110244552.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20211210_105915224.jpg
    IMG_20211210_105915224.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_20211210_105749985.jpg
    IMG_20211210_105749985.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Twin Lake 10DEC21.jpg
    Twin Lake 10DEC21.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 260
BBBRRRrrrrrr Meme……..

We hit 70* in Ks today and I did a little fiberglass work in the hangar, it’s been an off start to December. 8 years ago Dec 13 I did my first flight and pretty sure it didn’t hit 15*.

Ice pics are cool but would like to keep them at bay for as long as possible!

All of the lakes near me are fully frozen over except for where streams are involved. Here are several that really were interesting pieces of art I thought. The third one was unique as compared to all the others - it is a spring fed lake so I'm wondering if that might explain the uniqueness. The fourth picture is just an enlargement of the third.

The white areas were frozen over when we received about 6" of snow a week ago, the other areas having frozen over since then.

Hi Alex. This is indeed a great time of year to fly over central Minnesota. I concede that spring is a little bit of a lost season up here, but summer, fall, and early winter are fascinating from the air. Great photos. Hope you are well.

Wow, I can feel the weather where you live. I don't understand, why is the stream not frozen like a lake? Is it because of the movement of the water, that the stream does not freeze?

Wow, I can feel the weather where you live. I don't understand, why is the stream not frozen like a lake? Is it because of the movement of the water, that the stream does not freeze?

Welcome to VAF!

Yes, water movement. Eventually, most freeze over, but not all.

Dredging up memories….another month, and the coverage will be thick enough for ice diving!! Yeah….that was fun when I was young…… ;)

You are lucky Alex. Soon you might find an ice runway. No frozen art in my territory yet. A patches by Fire Hole the rest above the state line is clear.

Yes_-_1_(3).jpeg

Back