What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward baggage compartment

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
I recently purchased Vans Forward Baggage compartment for the -4, but having a hard time seeing how it all goes together. I have the thumb drive and on drawing 40, I see it, but it’s lacking the details. Anybody have some pictures of it installed? Thanks.

Anybody have a forward baggage compartment out there on their -4? Does it work? Or is it not worth the effort?

I threw mine away and built a couple custom storage areas.

1) Built a map tray from scrap. I made it to hold a sectional that is sort of folded into a square, along the normal sectional fold lines.

tray%201.jpg

tray%202.jpg

The tabs allow it to mount to the aft edge of the instrument panel without any fasteners. The aft edge (the left side in the picture) simply gets tied to whatever is convenient under the panel. I used some waxed cord to tie it to the radio tray.

tray%204.jpg

A folded map just sits there, conveniently placed where you can see it, but it's not on your lap or on the floor flopping around. The map doesn't interfere with the stick travel, and it generally doesn't get blown around by the air vents on either side of the panel.

tray%203.jpg

When you want the map out of sight, just push it on into the tray.

Updates to the original design:

map%20tray.jpg

I temporarily removed my map tray because there were a couple of minor problems with the map tray: 1) the tray did not have a top, which occasionally allowed a map to snag the bottom of the radios above it 2) the Rocket accelerates so fast on takeoff that the maps would fall out into my lap. No kidding.

I added a top. No problems there.

To cure the problems with the maps falling out during acceleration, I could have simply added throttle more slowly... BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA..... I make myself laugh out loud sometimes. Since slower acceleration is NOT an option, I added the two spring steel straps you see inside the tray. Only one end is fixed. The other end is free to compress as you add stacks of maps. Works very well. BTW, the spring steel straps are simply made from strapping left over from one of my Van's crates.

As you can see in the picture, the map slides under the strap and the strap gives enough friction to keep it in place.

I also added tinnerman nuts, etc. so that I can install or remove the tray easily.

2) I added a glove box in front of the RV-4 battery location. Works great.

new-panel-3-2019-1-e1633555580545.jpg

I don't have any details as it was a LOONG time ago. Here's a suggestion or two.... build a box, put a lid on it, make it fit in front of the battery. Easy.

2A) Some Rocket builders put a storage locker in the bays on either side of the control stick, under your thighs. Tom Martin was the first one to do that that I'm aware of. They work also, but are a bit less accessible in a 24" wide RV-4.

Last edited:
Sectional Chart.....?

How do you use these devices, where are the batteries\USB ports :) How does the purple\magenta line get on the chart??

What I did

I'm not sure what your current configuration is, but I fabricated a center stack console that houses my fuel gauges, trim indicators and X-ponder. It left me a nice space above the GTX327 to make a simple insert that I covered in some black auto trunk covering material and is perfect for my Nexus 7 tablet, sunglasses, gloves, ect. I opted for no door because it isn't really needed as it slopes slightly downward. It screws into the vertical rails I built the same way AVX trays are made and can be removed easily.

Attachments

• front seat.jpg
    front seat.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 342
  • glove box top.jpg
    glove box top.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 288
Move the battery...

I moved my battery to the right cheek forward of the firewall. These days with one of those tiny batteries it would be even easier. So I just throw stuff in the old battery compartment. If I travel with my wife and bags, it allows us to put some heavy stuff up front for balance. The angles that face in at the top of the battery compartment tend to add enough friction that I have never had anything fly around the cockpit even in heavy turbulence even without a top that closes. I've thought about adding netting, but after using it this way for at least the last 10 years I no longer see the point.

Usually what goes up there is a small tool pouch that probably weighs about 5 lb, my handheld radio, 2 quarts of oil, and my oxygen bottle. Using it this way is a game changer for the -4.

Paper sectionals still around? ... and my wife tells me I’m old fashioned :D

After a career of fixing equipment as a day job, I can assure you that the smoke eventually comes out of every electronic device ever devised. :eek:

But I use the electronics just like everyone else, and have a paper map for a back up, or to use as a sun shade, fly swatter, sic-sac, or just a place to write notes down. They're cheap.

Back