Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Tru-Trac Servo Installation

Hi folks,

I bought the servos and hardward to install both pitch and roll controls in my RV 8. I am getting close to final fuselage assembly and thought I ought prepare for installation as it would be easier to do before it all gets riveted together.

The installation manual from Tru-Track does not really discuss the servos. Their illustrations show the relationship between their mounting rails, the servos and the controls. It is fairly clear for the roll servo, but much less so for the pitch servo. They don't really give much indication as to where the mounting rails go. Specifically, in trying to install the elevator servo, do you cut away the part of the baggage floor that normally holds the elevator bellcrank? I can't see how the servo rails are going to fit in without doing that. Anyone have pictures or a better organized installation guide?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage
San Ramon, CA
Old 07-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Michael,

I just installed my servos and had some of the same questions. I searched the forums and found several helpful posts. Paul Dye was a great source of information for me. Here is a link to one of the threads:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ht=pitch+servo

Good Luck.
Santa Rosa, CA
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 PM

Default tru trak

here are pictures of servo installation on an RV9. Maybe this will help orient your installation.
Roll servo in the wing

Pitch servo behind baggage area

I hope this is helpful.

More pictures of the RV9a here
See Pictures of the RV10 here. http://btconline.net/~sportpilot/RV10/boatright
Waycross, Ga. Airport KAYS
Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Servo`

Michael:

As you probably can see from the pictures on the link that Craig posted, you do not have to cut away any of the baggage comp. floor for the pitch servo. All that's really necessary is to replace Van's belcrank brackets with the ones provided by Tru-Trak. Simple as that. The servo mounts to the bracket aft of the belcrank and connects to the belcrank via the arm and rod end bearings (also provided by T-T.
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Question Answered

Thanks to all.

I searched but did not find that other thread, so thank you for pointing me to it. The RV 8 mounting bracket is clearly different from the RV 9. The elevator bellcrank brackets are built into the baggage floor ribs. To duplicate what I saw on the link to RV 8, I would need to cut them off and then drill in the new ones from Tru-Trak. No big deal, but it was a little unclear. The upper edge of the bottom of the bulkhead that is just behind this will also have to be modifed slightly for it all to fit. I will measure carefully to be sure I do not move the bellcrank either forward or aft. I didn't want to start cutting until I was sure what to cut.

Again, thanks for your help. Without this list, I would be months behind!

Michael Wynn
RV 8
San Ramon
Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannanj
........All that's really necessary is to replace Van's belcrank brackets with the ones provided by Tru-Trak.......
You don't even need to do that. Why cut away Van's perfectly good bellcrank structure to accomodate Tru-Trak's brackets? All I did was add.... by nesting the Tru-Trak angles over the existing bellcrank assembly after making minor clearance cuts in the bulkhead so the angles would lay flat.

EAA Technical Counselor

Last edited by Rick6a : 07-29-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick6a View Post
You don't even need to do that. Why cut away Van's perfectly good bellcrank structure to accomodate Tru-Trak's brackets? All I did was add.... by nesting the Tru-Trak angles over the existing bellcrank assembly after making minor clearance cuts in the bulkhead so the angles would lay flat.
Rick, looking at that second picture of yours neatly answered my main question. I was wondering whether to nest rather than replace. Anyway, on my fuse I have two 3/32 round head rivets holding the little reinforcing bracket in place right where the forward end of the trutrak brackets go. Did you have that? I was wondering whether I could shorten the brackets rather that replace the rivets with flush ones (they weren't easy first time around tucked right in there). Or relieve/countersink the underside of the Trutrak brackets, given how small the heads are? Finally, I see your brackets only appear to be held in place with a single bolt; did you rivet them after this, or leave it as is, or what? Thanks,
http://www.preou.com
http://www.kitlog.com/users/index.php?user=jpreou
Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 PM

Can't talk about the pitch in the -8, but I assume the roll is identicle to the -7 in the wing. It's fairly easy. The only issue will be running the 7 wires out to the servo.
Redmond, WA
Old 04-03-2008, 05:00 AM

Michael, this might be a bit radical, but I am not sure anyone else has suggested. Try rferring to Trutrak's docs. Role and pitch drawings are all there.

Steve.

G-IKON Build log here , or Index to blog here.
RV4 #4478 - Flying since 16th June '08. First flight video here.
Circuits at my 1000' strip.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiGravity View Post
.......I have two 3/32 round head rivets holding the little reinforcing bracket in place right where the forward end of the trutrak brackets go. Did you have that?......I see your brackets only appear to be held in place with a single bolt.......
Jeff,

Its been so long ago, I had to review detail photos to be sure. As you know, TruTrak has not revised its drawings to account for the bellcrank design change. As you can see, I did replace the round head rivets with flush. If you count the 1/4" bolt through the bellcrank, each bracket is effectively secured to the bellcrank flange by two bolts and an aftmost third bolt physically ties both brackets together. As such, I felt the installed brackets are very solid and secure but certainly the point is arguable. If you prefer, you can always add additional rivets similar to Trutrak's drawing illustrating their method of attaching those same brackets to the obsolete RV8 bellcrank assembly our newer design supercedes.

A word of caution: If you do decide to nest the brackets, in keeping with good practice be sure to radius/alodine/prime (as required) the relatively sharp corner of the TruTrak brackets so the edges better conform to the radius on the bellcrank assembly.

EAA Technical Counselor

Last edited by Rick6a : 04-03-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: clarity