What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 and Aera660

StephenC

Sorry this is not an RV question exclusively but I thought there may be someone with experience with these devices here. I have just had installed a G5 HSI STC and an Aera660. I was led to believe that these two would work together for VFR flight when joined by the RS232 connection. At this stage all I get is a compass rose and a bearing pointer which is altogether underwhelming. Does anyone know if the CDI on the HSI can be activated to follow a course on the 660. I am wondering if the setup settings are correct
Thanks
Steve

Yes, the G5 will receive navigation guidance from Garmin portables like the Aera 5XX/660/760/79X over RS-232 (NMEA format) and provide lateral and vertical (enroute VNAV) guidance on either the PFD or HSI G5 units.

Page 7-7 of the Rev. 8 G5 Installation Manual for Non-Certified Aircraft provides the installation and configuration guidance.

Steve

Thanks for the info. I will have a look and see if the same works for the STC version of the G5 I believe it should.

Back