Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2021, 01:46 AM

Default Attempt to Stop Rain Leaking Into Cockpit-Tip Up

My RV-6 is parked outside in the weather. Alaska can get a little rough at times.

Been thinking on ways to seal the top of the cowling where the tip up canopy meet.

At first bought new weather stripping from VANS. Installed, rain leaked through!

Next were different types of weather stripping from different places. Nothing would work. Sitting outside in the rain, even with a canopy cover on, rain finds its way into the inside of my panel.

Read here at VAF sometime back that someone had used tape across the top to help seal part of it.

My plan was to use some 3M 4” wide wing flap protective tape. The issue was going to be when the tip up was open, how to create a non-stick area that could fold instead of unstick from the cowling.

Decided to try some kitchen plastic wrap held in place by blue painters masking tape.

It worked!

Step one was open the canopy and make a small mark where it opened directly above the cowling,

Step two found me using masking tape to tape the plastic wrap the length that the 4” tape was going to cover. Then about 6” extra length of plastic wrap would insure complete coverage when the 4” tape was applied.

Step three was when I took a xacto knife and cut the plastic along the seam where the canopy and cowling meet. Now the plastic wrap width was correct. Here is a photo that shows step 1, 2 and 3 completed:

Step four dry positioning of the 4” 3M tape and cutting to the correct length. Basically centered on the top part of cowling along the flat portions, not on the curved sides.

Step five lined up the 3M tape, peeled the backing from the sticky side and stuck the 3M tape down along the path across the very top of the cowling, using at least 1” on the canopy and three inches on the cowling. Pressing firmly to insure a good bond along the length. You can see when it is bonded correctly, it almost can’t be seen. Here are two photos showing the 3M tape applied and the plastic wrap strip can be seen under the 4" wide tape:

Step six was to trim the plastic wrap to the ends of the 3M tape. Remove masking tape and excess plastic wrap to a dumpster. Photo showing 3M 4" wide tape without the masking tape and the plastic wrap is trimmed to the end of the 3M tape:

Step seven was when the canopy was opened to see if it worked. Notice the fold when the canopy is open:

My canopy opened in flight a year or so ago, it bent the aluminum frame up in some places-you can see the damage under the 3M tape in the photos.

Hoping this fix will stop most of the water leaks when parked outside.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
UTC -09:00 Alaska
Old 05-14-2021, 02:56 AM

seems like a canopy cover would be a good thing to try…
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 05-14-2021, 07:32 AM

I do the same with my RV9. I use cheap vinyl tape. It keeps the rain out when flying.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-14-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:10 AM

Ditto (with slightly different methods).
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 05-14-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
I do the same with my RV9. I use cheap vinyl tape. It keeps the rain out when flying.
Hi Steve,

It might have been your post that got me to try this. Read it several months ago, I could not find it again, after looking for it and even asking if somebody knew what thread I was looking for.

After doing this, I think the 4" wide is way wider than needed, some 2" would probably work.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 05-14-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
seems like a canopy cover would be a good thing to try…
I've tried three different brands, did not try a Bruce's, a coup[le of friends mention they eventually leak in heavy rain. Same as all I have tried.

The best fit and toughest is one I bought from Aero Covers. They have great customer service!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 05-14-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Steve,

It might have been your post that got me to try this. Read it several months ago, I could not find it again, after looking for it and even asking if somebody knew what thread I was looking for.

After doing this, I think the 4" wide is way wider than needed, some 2" would probably work.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
yep, I now cut mine down from 4 to 2 inches. it's not the prettiest approach and will not win any beauty contests but it works.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 05-14-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
I've tried three different brands, did not try a Bruce's, a coup[le of friends mention they eventually leak in heavy rain. Same as all I have tried.

The best fit and toughest is one I bought from Aero Covers. They have great customer service!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
3M Scotchguard every couple of years does wonders. I use Bruce's cover.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 05-15-2021, 04:38 PM

Default Have you tried Mylar ?

You could look at some of the Mylar and V seals that gliders use.

https://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-sea...-gap-seal.html
https://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals/v-seal.html
https://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals.html

I would be surprised if there was not something that would do the trick.

David
Old 05-18-2021, 07:54 PM

I thought about the mylar tape and it could be good. however, many years ago I departed Wichita just as the rain was ending. when I opened my canopy all the water flowed down into the back of my panel and shorted my radio. that was before I had an instrument cover for that area but nevertheless, the water flows in that direction also, backwards. with the tape the water is deflected and not allowed to run direction down into the instrument bay. perhaps the mylar tape would accomplish this as well, but the tape seals for sure for both directions of water flow.

I used my hand held radio to get out that day and the radio was dry and working again by the time I reached Tucumcari.

www.rvplasticparts.com