Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2021, 09:57 AM

Default A Way To Find Valve Stem When Adding Air

There are many ways to "skin" this cat - but this is one that I have used:

Use your borescope, connected to a truncated wooden (cork or ?) cone, with a hole in the middle for your 'scope camera, and sized to wedge into access hole in WP.

Bring up the 'scope image on your phone - roll the airplane forward (or back) until valve stem is centered. Voila!

YMMV

David Howe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Stem Finder.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	8551  Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Stem Finder - Parts.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	556.5 KB
ID:	8552  Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Stem Finder - Closeup .JPG
Views:	40
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	8553  
Old 02-20-2021, 10:04 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Dave, great idea.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-20-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Scope

Brilliant! Scope out that stem.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:35 AM

Frankly I use a much lower tech approach.

I mark the tire side using nail polish where the valve stem is aligned with the hole and then always push the aircraft until the paint line is perpendicular to the ground. This ensures the valve stem is in the right place for inflation using a five inch truck tire extension valve.

Also use aluminum valve caps for easy off/on with a socket wrench.

Since Iím old and donít bend easily it takes 15 minutes to check tire pressures (excluding nose wheel which can add another 10 - 15 minutes).
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 02-20-2021, 12:04 PM

Default +1 for Simple & Low Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post

I mark the tire side using nail polish where the valve stem is aligned with the hole and then always push the aircraft until the paint line is perpendicular to the ground. This ensures the valve stem is in the right place for inflation using a five inch truck tire extension valve.
I use a silver colored sharpie with the same effect. Wife would get upset if I took her nail polish . Then I use a handy valve cap remover and extension that I got from Cleavland Tool a while back. Easy peasy, no batteries required.
Flying as of August 14, 2015
TN26
Old 02-20-2021, 12:52 PM

Default Finding the Valve stem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post

Also use aluminum valve caps for easy off/on with a socket wrench.

Since Iím old and donít bend easily it takes 15 minutes to check tire pressures (excluding nose wheel which can add another 10 - 15 minutes).
Yeah, I get the bending over thing......

I have the old style pants (which I think look faster.....) and did the same thing except my mark is on the wheel with a Sharpie. Bottom of the arch of the wheel: stem is lined up with the hole. I remove the valve stem cap with a short piece of left-over fuel line hose or some hose that fits over the cap and long enough to stick out of the wheel pant. And I have two of those: one in my tool kit and one in my tool box. I put two valve extensions together that I got at a local auto parts store that, together, are long enough to stick out of the wheel pant. I have four of those: two in my tool kit in the airplane and two in my tool box in the hangar. I also have a tire inflation tool (from Cleveland, I believe) that is long enough it reaches inside the pant without the extensions. The extensions are handier to carry in the tool kit. I did get the Cleveland cap removal stick as well but the fuel hose is much smaller and shorter.

It's handy to have some simple system when you are "on the road" as a low tire on a trip can mean removing the wheel pant if you don't have a simple, compact system.

That said, I do like the ingenuity of the scope....
Old 02-20-2021, 02:25 PM

Red face

Lecture me if I need it, but it wasn't long into my RV ownership that I simply left off the valve stem cap. There, I said it

I use the mark-on-tire method for aligning the stem with the access hole in the pant, and a flexible inflator is stiff enough to press onto the valve without having to resort to a rigid thread-on extension which is just a liability if the plane rolls while it's in place and poking out of the access hole.

Checking/airing tires is very quick if one isn't futzing with valve caps and thread-on extensions.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - Phase 1 flying

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 02-20-2021, 03:46 PM

" it wasn't long into my RV ownership that I simply left off the valve stem cap."

Not perfect all the time, but my solution was a short length of 3/8 fuel line which I glued a shorter bit of 3/8 fuel hose to one end, the hose split at the end about 1/4" with a couple cuts. Just right diameter to grab the tube filler cap for removal & re-install.

edit: correction- looks like it was a 5/16 hose that I split to fit over a chunk of 3/8 fuel line.

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 02-20-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:58 PM

maybe makes more sense this way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tube.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	8573  
Old 02-21-2021, 05:45 PM

Two lines on tire one white for stem the other at 180 degrees red. Can always roll just a little back and forth to know where stem is. Short length of galvanized pipe with quick chuck for air compressor on one side the other a straight tire filler.

Fast and easy.