What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch and GTN650

dweyant

Well Known Member
I have a Dual screen G3X Touch with a GTN650.

Something changed on my 650 about a year ago with regards to the database updated. Now every time I power up the unit it wants to reinstall all of the databases. I’ve tried reformatting the card, redownloading everything, etc.

Everything works properly so it hasn’t been a big issue, but it is a bit annoying and I’d like to figure out what is going on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Dan

Have you tried emailing [email protected] ?

You must be the most patient person I know, I usually get annoyed at something not working right the second time it happens, not a year later :-D

Have you tried emailing [email protected] ?

You must be the most patient person I know, I usually get annoyed at something not working right the second time it happens, not a year later :-D

I did just email them this morning as well.

As far as patience, more of lazy than patience. It irritates me every time I fly, but by the time I've landed I tend to forget about it until the next flight :).

-Dan

Force it...

Dan,

From the 650 Part 23 install manual --

"Alternatively, the databases can be updated in Configuration mode via the Updates page. The GTN, by default, will only update to effective databases. If loading databases that are not yet effective, or if the GTN GPS time is out-of-date, press and hold the dual-concentric knob during power-up to install all database updates from the data card."

Brian

Dan,

Not sure why you are seeing this issue, but one solution might be to do like I do and keep 3 SD cards. One for flying, one for database updates, and one for software updates.

For a GTN 650, you would need to keep a copy of the seldom changed terrain database on the "flying" card, but nothing else.

My GNX 375 loads all the databases in internal memory, so it is not even necessary to have the terrain database on the "flying" card, (or even fly with an SD card), but I use the flying card for occasional GNX 375 screen shots.

Steve

Back