Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
If you hadn't mentioned wanting some acro capability, an RV-9 or -9A would do what you want. Take a look at some of the places Vlad goes into.

Dave
Iíd be far more likely to fly something with aerobatic capabilities. That could be a fun toy. Iím also a pretty good sized guy and Iíd like to be able to occasionally take a passenger on a trip or for an aerobatic ride. Iíd never go fly a utility type plane just because it is a nice day. A go somewhere only plane would be nothing but a useful tool to be used when I wanted to travel. It sure would be handy to fly 1.5 hours to Gastonís rather than drive for 7. I simply wouldnít use a transportation only airplane enough to really justify having one. One of the things that I like about the RV line is that it is an all metal design, and there is a model for everyone. Iíve also given serious thought to just getting a really nice Pitts S1-S for around $50k and driving to go fish several times a year. The Pitts would fit my current 20í roll up door without having to modify my shop, but it is purely a single purpose machine. COVID hit the airline industry hard, so I have time to think and save while I wait for some job stability to return.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:35 AM

Keep in mind that the aerobatic limit for a 7 and 8 is 1600lbs and if you have a passenger you need parachutes.

Tim
Old 01-14-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjo View Post
Keep in mind that the aerobatic limit for a 7 and 8 is 1600lbs and if you have a passenger you need parachutes.

Tim
What does a bailout rig even weigh? I used to allow 25 lbs for all of my video gear and rig when I was a skydive instructor, but that was for a different container and two canopies. Also, since Iím experienced under canopy, can you get something like a PD 193 reserve in these containers? Iím not going to want a round canopy, especially in Oklahoma winds.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:43 PM

Default don't forget the -6

same performance at a lower price point than most 7s and 8s. you can take the passenger stick and seatback out for large/long loads while keeping weight and balance easy. I did Swan River, MB back to Florida with 2 48 qt coolers full of bear meat and hide, camping and hunting gear for 10 days and a bow case. had plenty of room and weight left over if i had needed it.
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 01-14-2021, 01:07 PM

One could almost buy a single seat Pitts and a RV 4 for the price of a good RV8, although properly maintaining both could get expensive. I donít even know if IFR is a must for me. Iíd really only want to go fishing on good weather days and Iím not a believer in single engine IMC unless you have redundant systems, backup instruments, an autopilot for something responsive like RVís, and ceilings high enough to pop out of the clouds with a failed engine and have plenty of time to select a suitable landing spot and glide to it. Night IMC is out of the question unless I could glide to a lighted runway when clear of clouds. Is the cost of instruments and maintaining the plane IFR current even worth the expense if all Iím wanting to do is pop through a 3,000í overcast or broken layer and cruise on top?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:09 PM

Default More blasphemy......

Sounds like a job for an S21 Outbound.... (er... RV15, whatever its gonna be...)
Old 01-14-2021, 03:23 PM

Default My vote...

My vote is a 7 or an 8. Simple avionics with the ability to add a GPS navigator. You just have to decide on tandem or not. Id recommend getting a flight in them. Also, what is your budget and how big of a fella are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by JeremyL : 01-14-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 01-14-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
My vote is a 7 or an 8. Simple avionics with the ability to add a GPS navigator. You just have to decide on tandem or not. Id recommend getting a flight in them. Also, what is your budget and how big of a fella are you, if you don't mind me asking?
Havenít really got around to a real budget number yet since I havenít picked a model. I could see spending $100K for a well built 8, but obviously less if looking at a 4. A really nice Pitts S1S would run $45-50k. Right now Iím just trying to learn what will fit my shop and future strip and figure out what Iím wanting to get, and also if I even really want to get something. When the job situation stabilizes I want to go fly different planes. I might find that all I really want is to go up and tumble in a Pitts, I may want more basic aerobatics and the ability to travel in a RV, and I might find that itís not for me. As far as the fat factor. Iím 5í, 10ĒĒ and about 225 lbs. Also fairly broad shoulders, so side by side in most certified planes that Iíve flown was cozy.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:27 PM

Seems like an 8 tail dragger would be the one. But, it sounds like you have plenty of time before the purchase to chew on choices and options that mean the most to you.