What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Pedal Alignment

BobbyLucas

Well Known Member
Page 28iS/U-02...

Step 4 has you clamp the torque tube assembly to the work surface and then lock the rudder pedals into the neutral position. The result is that the rudder pedals are not vertical, i.e. not perpendicular to the work surface, rather they are canted in toward each other at ~4.5-6 degrees from vertical.

Step 6 then says "Use a square to make sure both the WD-1209 and WD-01206-1 are vertical (or perpendicular to the work surface), then clamp the brake pedals to the rudder pedals as shown."

As described in step 4, the setup does not allow the rudder pedals to be "vertical (or perpendicular to the work surface)."

So were we meant to unclamp the assy from the work surface in order to align everything vertical with a square, so that the brake and rudder pedals are parallel?

Or are the brake pedals supposed to be vertical while the rudder pedals are canted-in, resulting in the brake pedals not being parallel with the rudder pedals?

...or is the neutral angle of the brake pedals a matter of comfort/preference?

Hmm, so maybe I was focusing on the wrong part of the torque tube assembly being vertical...

Now I'm thinking that it's the two center brackets that are supposed to be vertical and not the rudder pedals themselves?

So center brackets vertical, rudder pedals canted-in, and brake pedals vertical.

Yeah, I think that makes sense now for the controls to be in the neutral position

zAXiisl.jpg

Last edited:
Keep us posted on how you solve this, Bobby. Have you sent a message to tech support?

I have not contacted support. After working through it, I am confident this is correct. If the brake pedals were parallel with the rudder pedals then, in the neutral position, the brake pedals would be in different orientations, one tilted forward and the other aft. That would obviously be no bueno. Hindsight, right?

One thing to note, at least on the torque tubes I received, the center brackets (for rudder linkages) are not exactly parallel, but off by 1-2 degrees. So instead of using a square to make them perpendicular to the work surface, I used the digital inclinometer to split the difference. Then I used the square to orient the brake pedals.

According to your picture and step 4, you are correct. The heels of the rudder/brake pedals need to be inline with each other (and they are in the picture). No part of the WD-1206 needs to be exactly vertical (perpendicular to the work bench surface), but the pilot's heels need to be even/in line with each other.

Back