What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet tape tip

htx9a

Instead of rivet tape, I discovered that Scotch matte finish "Magic Tape" works better than painter's tape or masking tape. It's mostly clear so you can still see the rivet head move around when you poke it from the back to identify that the bucking bar is in the correct location. It also comes off cleanly, no mess no fuss.

PXL_20201227_232018461.small.jpg

Better

Scotchtape worked well for me too.
But i preferred double sided tape to help keep the gun from slipping off and causing a smiley.
Also,i found kapton tape from Grainger works better than scotch tape; it comes off without separating. It is the stuff on the outside of the rivet tape, but all the way across. I use the acrylic adhesive style of Kapton tape.

I bought some Scotch 811 tape from amazon. .it would pretty good too. Vans used to recommend scotch 811...

Tried all the other tape choices over the years. I always fell back to using rivet tape for a couple reasons.

Imagine you popped a rivet out of place in the middle of a rivet run, with rivet tape you don't have to re-load all the rivets again, because with regular tape the rivet heads were all stuck to the tape.

Rivet tape is reusable, at least I would reuse it to stick down the next row of rivets, to the point where (to prove I could do it) I used two 18" strips of rivet tape to rivet the whole top skins of a wing. I used only a couple more 18" strips to do the bottom skins, just to see how stingy I could be.

3M Heavy Packing Tape

I used 3M Heavy Packing tape. Draw an "X" on the sticky side as a target for helpers. Make up a bunch for a long session. Cheap.

I agree with the OP. Back in the early 90's, when I was building my RV6, Scotch Removable Magic Tape was the one to use. Somehow, almost all of the builders back then were using it, without the benefit of the internet to get the tip. Must have been in one of the RVator newsletters.
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 4.14.38 PM.png

Green automotive stripping tape, 5/16". I have never heard of marking an "X" before, sounds time-consuming.

"X"

Green automotive stripping tape, 5/16". I have never heard of marking an "X" before, sounds time-consuming.

Not at all. It's for rookies helping me. My flush set has marks on it. They align the marks with the "X" on the tape. Rivet is dead center on the flush set. I found helpers learned the gun faster than the bar so I always buck.

For those of us in the Great White North, Clear Hockey Tape !

Probably work ok for normal riveting. I have always thought, and only used, tape to hold in rivets when back riveting on stiffeners. For back riveting I would not want that sponginess as the head may not end up flush.

Instead of rivet tape, I discovered that Scotch matte finish "Magic Tape" works better than painter's tape or masking tape. It's mostly clear so you can still see the rivet head move around when you poke it from the back to identify that the bucking bar is in the correct location. It also comes off cleanly, no mess no fuss.

PXL_20201227_232018461.small.jpg

I can't imagine picking off all the squares of scotch tape, nor taking the time to cut and place them. You must have some sharp fingernails. The Rivet tape is quick, works as designed, and reusable several times. Its clear in the middle to aid in aligning and has red edging that helps rivet gun person align & center the rivet set.

Not at all. It's for rookies helping me. My flush set has marks on it. They align the marks with the "X" on the tape. Rivet is dead center on the flush set. I found helpers learned the gun faster than the bar so I always buck.

That is a great idea!
I haven't had any helpers to speak of. Save for James Jula and he is a pro. I probably could have used this at the beginning of this journey for sure! As I look back Larry there are a few ugly rivets in the tail cone...HAHA

Target

That is a great idea!
I haven't had any helpers to speak of. Save for James Jula and he is a pro. I probably could have used this at the beginning of this journey for sure! As I look back Larry there are a few ugly rivets in the tail cone...HAHA

Hate to admit but I started off using the target! I circle bad rivets with a marker for later. Might just wipe off all the marks! :D

Back