Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2020, 10:28 PM

Default Fire Extinguisher Deployment Test Video

Since the location of the fire extinguisher in an RV-8 can be tricky, I thought I'd share my experience in deciding how and where to install mine, and determining how well it will work. Enjoy... and read the disclaimers in the description.
https://youtu.be/_8Mjqo-gbwA
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; engine remounted.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 06-23-2020, 10:35 PM

Interesting. I have mine installed in a similar location. I noticed your elbows would have hit the canopy a couple of times if you had it installed ( you still would have been able to use it ) so I'm going to test mine tomorrow with the canopy closed and see what happens. Thanks for the video.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Interesting. I have mine installed in a similar location. I noticed your elbows would have hit the canopy a couple of times if you had it installed ( you still would have been able to use it ) so I'm going to test mine tomorrow with the canopy closed and see what happens. Thanks for the video.
I'll be interested in hearing your follow up; feel free to share in the video comments too. I'm leading up to my Big Cut on the canopy, so I'll be able to test it with the canopy closed soon. I've had some naysayers on Facebook, and asked for their alternative suggestions. We're all here to learn...
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; engine remounted.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 06-23-2020, 11:45 PM

Might want to try it when you?re harnessed in.
I mounted mine under the right canopy rail and added a thin wire around the release in case it gets bumped. It?s tight, but might work. I?m more worried about it staying put in a crash impulse.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB)
Old 06-24-2020, 07:44 AM

I don't have fly an RV8 so I'm not speaking from experience but watching your video I couldn't help but think to myself that in a real emergency when your heart's pumping and you are trying to get to it as fast as you can, it would just be terrible if you flipped the latch open and it fell somewhere in the back that you couldn't reach. Scenario could be an off airport landing in to a sandy field maybe that gets the plane either upside down or just not sitting in a 3 point position, one arm possibly hurt, and you see or smell smoke, reach for the latch and it falls. Just thinking that it should be mounted somewhere in the front. The trade off may be worth it someday.

Just some thoughts. Very cool that you are putting some careful thought into the placement of it. I would not have thought that would be a challenge.
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 06-24-2020, 07:59 AM

I would worry about dropping it or it coming lose and falling down around the rear stick blocking controls.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:04 AM

I fly my -8 99% of the time with my right hand. I saw you using your right hand to retrieve the bottle. If you need that thing you're going to have smoke, flames (maybe on you), adrenaline at level 11, and need to keep flying the plane. Behind the front seat back looked pretty difficult to retrieve. Mine's under the forward right canopy rail. Never kicked, hit, or used in 20 years.

2 cents of free internet opinion.

Houston
Old 06-24-2020, 08:35 AM

Sorry, but I would not be comfortable with this location for reasons already stated. Whose flying the airplane (No.1 rule) during all these gyrations?
A fire extinguisher must be easily and quickly accessible to be effective.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 06-24-2020, 08:43 AM

Default Well Done Video

Martin, I have the same extinguisher mounted in the same place on our -8. One minor difference is I rivited a doubler to the seat back due to cracking concerns.
I can retrieve the bottle in flight but hope to NEVER have that need. My primary concern was a problem on the ground, such as a brake fire or engine compartment fire. I could not stand the thought of watching something like a brake fire total my airplane, and me standing there with nothing... I prefer to have a fighting chance.
2021 Dues Gladly Paid
A new pilot having fun!
Old 06-24-2020, 09:05 AM

Default installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
... Mine's under the forward right canopy rail. Never kicked, hit, or used in 20 years.

2 cents of free internet opinion.
Can I get another couple of cents of opinion? How did you install it? Do you have some photos you can share?