- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Default VOR antenna and my GTN650

Having trouble getting my VOR/ILS antenna showing signal on my GTN650.
The setup is flat antenna in the copilot side wingtip. BNC cable directly from the antenna (ring terminal connectors) to the back of the gtn650 (bnc connector).
It could be
1. The Antenna itself
2. The BNC cable run or connections
3. A menu item in the gtn650
I have checked the connections on the antenna and they are tight and solid. The cable was continuity tested when installed.
There is no signal when I try to tune a VOR or catch an ILS. Its not intermittent signal, its just no signal at all. The GTN 650 works perfectly for RNAVs and other gps navigation.

Open to any input someone may have for where and how to troubleshoot any aspect of this system. Particularly, I am wondering if there is a gtn650 menu item that needs to be selected or something simple like that - maybe the g3xpert can weigh in?
Thanks for any assistance or ideas you have. Its in the hands of the braintrust now - no problem stands a chance there!

Tim
Old 05-13-2020, 12:16 PM

What you have is a marginal antenna, but you should get some reception.

As you verified continuity, I wonder if you checked to see if the coax was shorted (center shorted to shield). You will need to pull the GTN-650 out of the tray to do this.

Such things a simple to troubleshoot with the right antenna analyzer. This is a great ?shared tool? for your local RV group.

Carl
Old 05-13-2020, 12:20 PM

Besides the obvious of ensuring you have the CDI selected to VOR/LOC vs GPS, under the GTN setup page there is a VOR/LOC/GS config page where the Nav radio can be enabled or disabled. I'd check to see that it has been enabled.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 05-13-2020, 12:35 PM

There is also a discreet input pin on the GTN 650 that can be connected to a momentary push button called CDI Source Select. It allow rapid toggle selection of either VOR/GS or GPS information to the CDI unit.
flying
Old 05-13-2020, 01:01 PM

Have you tried listening to the audio? No audio leads to a antenna/coax issue. Audio good then it?s a indication issue.

Jay
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Wiring in progress
2020 Donation made!
Old 05-13-2020, 01:21 PM

Default Some things to try

Ok - this is really helpful stuff - thanks all. I am going to check and make sure that the config is right in the gtn by checking that the vor is enabled.
I do not get any audio when I listen. If the whole thing is not enabled - that may be why. Otherwise, I will move to Jay's suggestion that a lack of audio signal means an antenna or coax problem.
I hope to get out to the hangar later today and will report back with what I find.
In the meantime, if you have other ideas, its always best to be well armed with ideas when confronting a problem - so the more the merrier!
Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-13-2020, 03:30 PM

Simple thing: verify on the back of the 650 that the antenna is plugged into the VOR location, not the com jack. I think they?re both BNC connectors.

As Carl suggested, once you get it sort-of working but not well, the next question will be ?what kind of antenna is it really?? A flat wire is not very descriptive.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoverst View Post
Ok - this is really helpful stuff - thanks all. I am going to check and make sure that the config is right in the gtn by checking that the vor is enabled.
I do not get any audio when I listen. If the whole thing is not enabled - that may be why. Otherwise, I will move to Jay's suggestion that a lack of audio signal means an antenna or coax problem.
I hope to get out to the hangar later today and will report back with what I find.
In the meantime, if you have other ideas, its always best to be well armed with ideas when confronting a problem - so the more the merrier!
Thanks,
Tim
To hear Nav audio typically need to do these things: Select Nav1 on audio panel then select nav frequency (press lower right center knob) on GTN, then press upper left knob for "ident". (I think this is the correct sequence). Sorry if I'm being captain obvious.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 05-13-2020, 07:52 PM

Make sure the coax is not grounding to the shield. If that is the case it would show conductor continuity even though the shield is grounding it out...
Old 05-13-2020, 10:30 PM

I am the installer of this antenna and radio. To answer the question of what type of antenna; this is an Archer wingtip NAV antenna in the right wingtip. I do not believe I installed the antenna into the COMM port of the 650 but it definitely should be checked. Everyone can make mistakes. I am no exception. As for the center conductor shorting to ground, again that is something I checked but Tim should verify that is true also.

Tim, please keep us updated on your findings.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻