- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:32 PM

Default RV-7 Advanced Panel Video

Since we all did not get a chance to go to Sun-n-Fun this year we decided to post a new video showing how a RV-7 VFR panel can be upgraded to IFR. Stay safe during these difficult times and we look forward to seeing you at the next airshow.

http://youtu.be/5tNAdWJWIvY

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems / Dynon Avionics

Last edited by N402RH : 04-05-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Kudos to Rob. I had an original AFS VFR Quick Panel with dual ADAHARS, and wanted to upgrade to a 2nd comm and IFR Navigator. The AFS gang built a harness for the GNC355 and a PDA360XR remote audio panel. I cut the hole, they supplied the harness and it was a true plug and play upgrade. Thank you AFS.

https://i.postimg.cc/nzgtY9FP/20191018-165143.jpg
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:22 AM

Default Adding components to AFS panel

I just added a Garmin GPS 175 to my AFS 5600 panel. The panel has the Advanced Control Module so adding the Garmin was as simple as cutting a hole in the panel and plugging in the harness. Then just some easy configuration changes and I was all set. Love my AFS.
RV8 N37PK
Old 04-07-2020, 08:26 AM

Default Upgraded Advanced Quick Panel (VFR) to IFR

The ACM is truly "plug and play"! I had Rob and team design and build my original Advanced Quick Panel as a very nice, very functional VFR panel using all Dynon hardware.

Last year, I had Rob's team update my panel to IFR including an Avidyne IFD440 Nav/Com radio and a redundant ADAHRS.

The actual panel install was VERY simple...complete plug and play into the ACM. I spend FAR more time routing additional wiring and coax than I did installing the hardware in the panel.

I did have some challenges getting the ARINC-429 configured, but with Rob's guidance it works perfectly.

The Dynon/Advanced team have been phenomenal! Keep it up.

Cheers,
Ackselle
You can do anything!...but you can't do everything.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:13 AM

Question Budgetary pricing?

Thanks for this video--nice clean work!

Roughly, what's the pricing for the expandable VFR panel shown initially in the video?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:02 AM

How similar is the Advance panel compare to the Vertical Power box? I read your website but only find a few paragraphs describing it.

Thanks
Phat Vu
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2022
Old 04-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Ok, I am sold. I talked to Rob and Bruce Swayze(friend) yesterday, hope to get this purchased/installed toot sweet!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 04-07-2020, 02:11 PM

Overview

The Advanced Panel system is based on our Advanced Control Module ?ACM-ECB?. The electronic circuit breaker ?ECB? version has internal circuit current monitoring and will shut off a circuit if the current is too high. With the ACM-ECB you can monitor the current of each circuit and reset any tripped circuits from the EFIS. The ACM is the main power distribution center for the aircraft's electrical system. The avionics, headsets, aircraft lights, autopilot servos, trim servos, flap motor, control sticks and panel switches all get connected to the ACM. Using the ACM with its plug and play features vastly simplifies an aircraft?s wiring and troubleshooting. The ACM also makes future upgrades extremely easy. Want to add an IFR Navigator in the future? No problem, just plug it into the ACM NAV-COM and GPS NAVIGATOR plugs. The complicated and time consuming (Audio Panel, GPS RS-232 data, NAV ARINC data and GPS ARINC) wiring is already done.

ACM-ECB Features

27 dedicated channels of circuit protection including: PFD, MFD, BACKUP EFIS, TRANSPONDER-ADSB, COM 1, NAV 1, COM 2, NAV 2, GPS NAVIGATOR, AUDIO PANEL, CABIN LIGHTS, DEFROST, ALTERNATOR, AUX POWER, STARTER, BOOST PUMP, PITOT HEAT, LEFT LANDING LIGHT, RIGHT LANDING LIGHT, NAV LIGHTS, STROBE LIGHTS, TRIM MOTORS, AP SERVOS, FLAP MOTOR. BACKUP ALTERNATOR, TAXI LIGHTS, SPARE POWER CIRCUIT, CABIN LIGHT SWITCH
  • Built in SV-ARINC module
  • Multi Step Flap Positioning System
  • Wig-Wag Lighting Circuit (airspeed controlled)
  • Panel Dimmer
  • Trim Controller (must have SV-AP-PANEL)
  • SV Network Hub (4 Port + AP Servos)
  • Panel Switch Interface with support for switch lights
  • Control Stick Interface

The VPX system is an Electronic Circuit Breaker system. It replaces the traditional Circuit Breakers in an aircraft?s panel, it also gives you wig-wag lighting and flap position control. A customer would still need to wire all the ARINC, RS-232, audio, radios, intercom and wire all the power for these devices to the VPX box.

The Approach Faststack is a hub system for all the avionics with separate red and black power wires that then need to be connected to circuit breakers. In a sense the ACM-ECB is a combination of a VPX and Faststack in a single box.

One of the major advantages of an ACM-ECB is we provide pre made switch modules that connect to the ACM with a single ribbon cable eliminating all the complicated switch wiring.

Pricing Comparison

VPX Pro--------------$2,195
SV-ARINC--------------$450
SV-NET-5-Port Hub-----$50
VPX License------------$350
====================
TOTAL VPX Install $3,045

ACM-ECB Install $2,750

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems / Dynon Avionics
Old 04-07-2020, 02:47 PM

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Phat Vu
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2022
Old 04-07-2020, 04:31 PM

I?m curious about the IFR qualification. I assume the co-pilot side screen is the required backup for the main screen. Has it been established that the viewing angle of the second screen is within limits?

Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackselle View Post
The ACM is truly "plug and play"! I had Rob and team design and build my original Advanced Quick Panel as a very nice, very functional VFR panel using all Dynon hardware.

Last year, I had Rob's team update my panel to IFR including an Avidyne IFD440 Nav/Com radio and a redundant ADAHRS.

The actual panel install was VERY simple...complete plug and play into the ACM. I spend FAR more time routing additional wiring and coax than I did installing the hardware in the panel.

I did have some challenges getting the ARINC-429 configured, but with Rob's guidance it works perfectly.

The Dynon/Advanced team have been phenomenal! Keep it up.

Cheers,
Ackselle
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada