- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:55 AM

Default Avoid or accept a bird strike?

So yesterday I'm trucking along on final approach in the RV-9A, 350 ft AGL, 80 knots (fast because I'm cleared for a long landing), when this stupid turkey vulture decides not to abide by the right of way rules. Having practiced vigorous low speed maneuvers in advance, I achieved a 55° bank and 13° nose down, recovering at about 200 ft AGL. Digital data after the fact showed that I had plenty of margin in airspeed, AOA, and g load for a more vigorous recovery to avoid hitting the ground, had that been required. In any case, that bird avoidance commanded my full attention.

In many other airplanes, I most likely would not have attempted this frisky maneuvering. But this raises the question -- when do you accept a bird strike vs when do you maneuver vigorously to avoid it? Seems to me that if the. bird strike is going to be on the wing, you'd accept it and fly on. If the bird strike is on the windshield, you might maneuver more vigorously. And like an engine failure right after takeoff, maybe this is something to be considered in advance.

Once, in a C172, I hit a duck on short final (me, that is, don't know about the duck) on the wing and there was no noticeable effect on handling. A C172RG in that same flying club hit another duck at higher speed and the shredded duck came to rest in the back of the cabin. That plane landed fine, and there are youtube videos of light planes surviving bird strikes to the windshield. But I always wear glasses in the plane for at least minimal eye protection, and my vision is good enough that I can fly just fine without glasses -- except for maybe wind blast.

Put on your CFI hats for a moment -- what would you teach a student pilot to do?
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...

Last edited by Ed_Wischmeyer : 03-16-2020 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Birds

It has been my experience the birds will almost always dive if they see you...

It is also kind of bird dependent as to what to do; a turkey vulture presents a great deal more risk than a sparrow...

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 03-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Default Avoid

I'm not sure if it is possible to predict which part of the airplane will be hit, plus it can all happen so quickly.

I was recently at 2,500 ft agl and 140 knots when a wedgetail eagle converged from the 2 o'clock position. They are territorial and fearless. I was taught to avoid by banking and showing the aircraft profile, which is what I did, but I was surprised at how quickly we closed in on each other.

If any part of an RV is struck by something that weighs 5-10 pounds, at that speed, I think it would be serious, though manoeuvering and over-stressing the airframe could also be a risk.

I think the key lesson is to keep a good lookout at all times.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build

Last edited by PaulvS : 03-15-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:21 AM

I was told it is OK to fly over buzzards but never under them.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:23 AM

I think I would take the hit. I would rather recover from that than a steep banked dive at 200 feet.For me anyway bird encounters happen so fast I really haven't had time to react. Good flying on your part but there would have been no recovery from a stall.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 03-15-2020, 08:25 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
I was told it is OK to fly over buzzards but never under them.
That is the avoidance method that seems to work best at our airport that is a couple of miles from a large wildlife management area populated with thousands of waterfowl.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:35 AM

Additional dimension to the problem is airports around here are typically on river flood wet lands. This means flocks of birds from blackbirds to Canadian geese. Very hard to try and plan where to take the strike with a flock of a dozen Canadian geese approach at 160 kts.

It is very hard to resist doing a hard maneuver to avoid a bird strike as the natural reaction is to pull and bank. I would think the best practice near the ground would be to continue with approach to avoid uncontrolled flight into the ground. I always remember what I read a while ago that the animal that kills the most humans in car accident is . . . wait for it . . . deer, Not with hitting the deer, but with avoiding the deer and running off he road.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 03-15-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post

Put on your CFI hats for a moment -- what would you teach a student pilot to do?
Both the bird strikes I've had happened so fast that I had no time to even think about it.

I expect that this isn't a one size fits all approach, but personally I would never teach a student to try to out maneuver a bird. Especially close to the ground.

It seems like the same thing as teaching a kid to drive and telling them that they should try to swerve to avoid hitting a squirrel. The chance of creating a catastrophe are much greater than the chance of avoiding one.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 03-15-2020, 08:50 AM

I love making agressive manuevers like this. However, not sure that I would do so at 80 kts and 300 AGL. I would likely do a manuever, just not sure how aggressive I would be with it. This is a good thinking exercise to go through though.

Larry
Old 03-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
It is also kind of bird dependent as to what to do; a turkey vulture presents a great deal more risk than a sparrow...
How about a 5 oz swallow carrying a 1 lb coconut?
RV-12iS #121228
  • My opinions are JUST my opinions, not facts
  • Regardless of phrasing or colorfulness, my opinion does not imply that any opposing opinions are wrong or ANY less valid than my own
  • Respect people by giving your own opinion without attacking or belittling others
  • Passive-aggressive is not better than overt-aggressive
  • When I fail to meet these standards, please call me out, gently