What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Static plumbing question

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to start plumbing pitot static and they layout of my setup is such that it would be really convenient to end the hard lines coming off the tube at a bulkhead fitting in the next inboard rib and then convert it to a slip on fitting for nylon on the other side of the rib.

The fittings that came in the kit from stein are female npt to nylon, so does anybody have a solution for a bulkhead union that's flared on one end and npt on the other? I'm not having any luck finding a standard AN fitting in that configuration.

I get that I could use a AN832 and then a couple of flare fittings and a short run of aluminum tube, but that's the kind of cobbled together mess that I'm trying to avoid.

Basically I'm looking for something like a AN816, but with a bulkhead passthrough feature that will accomodate a nut.

All input welcome.

I'm getting ready to start plumbing pitot static and they layout of my setup is such that it would be really convenient to end the hard lines coming off the tube at a bulkhead fitting in the next inboard rib and then convert it to a slip on fitting for nylon on the other side of the rib.

The fittings that came in the kit from stein are female npt to nylon, so does anybody have a solution for a bulkhead union that's flared on one end and npt on the other? I'm not having any luck finding a standard AN fitting in that configuration.

I get that I could use a AN832 and then a couple of flare fittings and a short run of aluminum tube, but that's the kind of cobbled together mess that I'm trying to avoid.

Basically I'm looking for something like a AN816, but with a bulkhead passthrough feature that will accomodate a nut.

All input welcome.

anplumbing.com

Have you considered using Steins 1/4" to 3/16" pitot union connectors? Pass thru the rib with snap bushings with no other fittings required.

https://www.steinair.com/product/fitting-straight-pitot-union-connector-1-4-to-3-16-adapter/

j0dHZDvYniB7q8zI1PLeMSFMPlM2t_TWgLYCNbOrYVGjXcvcHs5N5EbtlHDVf2-RZXkJ0GiDVMhnBeBCha_8-4_cxSgTZV7hlX_CTrAlYEbQD92f_5CJRL3LlUUVT1MwxBWzAAiiaVb63HT03B-H9fuXf-gvTrpJOlI58CBNCcpyo5EMSthZqCVYmxF0jczfNTmTw5xN8iXFQf1vA9Qf1HEa-tBBRt8Qq0lifXlhxnor0pGJ0F6nnWQpZ4-9MAn6gwoWqd1oN5mTEv7J8g1_Uez4glHEGbPsJXmzMqR8VxOTZVOftfdMHbxVgNXYw7x2-1cuqxXs9lCBCJEBQSeFCvrqjmdVV61VBdP3zdL35LN3-3feJvM1-eN0ww2tGVKhuUwPKKk2CM80ajVu7IIDJyKnJMizb1YqWY1t5Lv350-eLexngjJvdM2v6MXonl_cX7IwI85dAQZheCKENgehahcl_BQKBR8NOd9J3TQgTb5MqIcoQKHImshJ7C-d8m7asfTsg82_1TpOkUTZlTtgXZ9563g9tTwpTRXav7UqPQkZoQ3eVkocfakM3kZmwrtEVuuU93lc-dq9d61KzZeEwSHd1ncKrMAIv55iDjZxQ-eDEmO2XcGLkiZkzOET49jT7t8HJ0QzSpVOJ_NCYnkrUf4-Tm5HIl5DAJP06FlyXTFHSKYKBT5iNh_2twSUGSsBLkxB1BDhNYPY6RVAv3dSiyxQ5Nt7yiwc8WtmqYfkmTu0-FA=s300-no

QPcpgIxVCA5V1HbXO2vY32YJrKIBEiy2jan0okUn7-CIprN99G-1QjmGV1K0xwi7B1cIJT4pOG9LcKY6_j19DL4BzfXPv7b89eR5DGmLE8PlHBKFZnbmMk2MPebqqwok4U-VeyY4BFglAafBZg_AiFuN1OJpf2nLvwqPEGKOaLz332KVfp501bXUkzj9ACqclC2hzUo1G9Jybvj3mqu8rO8IgULkdpolf0ongkB1goNX5mWk7E6qbJMqLH8BM4OO3dovMf1ajx4i7BTg1L-6R_02JJQBaMfZrfOx4F2Ra7Rpwxb3O1z4CHFDTyJqnMr86ewibVUbPxWSXybEjc1U7p5C_vNFQCoyy1CVA_LUq2uAdK49ly2Hg9USvFeBzabcEd0OGZaIhOkFQt5_FhVIlPEXNkiFD11cNDqzFW9EXK3Wb2vkV0vPtqMEfezCVQdGliAdoByb0FdQV3uMyv3JEoZqUkbCvAq1LUMJhTLv__MC3q9KwSxSIsxVe7OzLS0Y_ZhEDSWuooBDOMEauVCWIxqRn9njIexwyjmpB1eqQD6Zq2OHZfDcPREAQ3Kc0u9FjvjdPWV94ez5h9gBZlHiNCvmLY1AI5nz2mJlny_OK3q_yLOH_THy4-IV4QpHpQoK0MlWCHmxdFrn3RWeSUTubcsqzBCo2CLh2_1WkPPM-IglUAnqSvA6YXRWFy1QQqZcAXH8a30j1caFG52lIQskwn1RgGUA87eRWB0UuOnCWyqKIiY=s300-no

Last edited:
Right or wrong but I heated the 1/4? urethane tubing and slid it onto the AL tubing from the pitot. It?s not coming off unless I cut it off, no fitting and one less chance of a leak.

Thanks for the input guys. I may end up going with the quick connectors in the stein kit if I can't find an appropriate bulkhead fitting. Just would have been a really clean routing the way I envisioned it.

Would this work?

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/collections/all/products/push-on-bulkhead-fitting-1_4-female-npt-x-1_4-od-tube?variant=18378237804606[/IMG]

I think that it might. But I'll have to ponder.

Basically, what I've got going on is that due to the location of the mast, it will work out just about perfectly for the hard lines from the pitot to run inbd to a bulkhead fitting at the next inbd rib. I thought that it would be ideal to stick them on a bulkhead fitting, then come off the other side with the Stein slip-on fittings and just run nylon from there. This would be especially convenient because that's the bay that's right behind the middle inspection panel.

But now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose that a better question might be do those hard lines need any support? I could just run the nylon further outbd through the rib in question and eliminate one fitting like pazmanyflyer suggested above.

My biggest concern here is that the mast is one bay inbd of the bell crank and the aileron push tube runs right above it. However I route this stuff it can't be flopping around. Just seemed like a bulkhead fitting would lock everything down to insure clearance, but maybe it would work just as well with running nylon further outbd?

What do you guys think?

Garmin AOA pitot?-pay attention, otherwise as-you-were

I think that it might. But I'll have to ponder.

Basically, what I've got going on is that due to the location of the mast, it will work out just about perfectly for the hard lines from the pitot to run inbd to a bulkhead fitting at the next inbd rib. I thought that it would be ideal to stick them on a bulkhead fitting, then come off the other side with the Stein slip-on fittings and just run nylon from there. This would be especially convenient because that's the bay that's right behind the middle inspection panel.

But now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose that a better question might be do those hard lines need any support? I could just run the nylon further outbd through the rib in question and eliminate one fitting like pazmanyflyer suggested above.

My biggest concern here is that the mast is one bay inbd of the bell crank and the aileron push tube runs right above it. However I route this stuff it can't be flopping around. Just seemed like a bulkhead fitting would lock everything down to insure clearance, but maybe it would work just as well with running nylon further outbd?

What do you guys think?

Honestly I don't visualize what you are doing, but I have the Garmin pitot and it has a characteristic leak internally with the AOA when doing the biennial IFR check. I have access to remove the quick connect fittings and add a "Y" to connect to the instrumentation. If you have the Garmin pitot then understand this as it will save you considerable pain.

Back