-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:30 PM

Default Pushing and pulling via the prop.

Hello all,

Just getting an idea on if it's bad or not to gently push/pull the airplane by the root of the prop close to the spinner to move it around. Airplane in question is an RV-6A with O-320 H2AD fixed catto prop.

Thank you!

Cheers
Old 01-28-2020, 03:37 PM

I push and pull my RV-6A by the prop and was told to do so by my mechanic. Think about it, the prop is pulling the plane through the air so there is much more load on it when flying than you could put on it on the ground. Now I do like you said and push/pull near the hub not way out at the tip, even though I doubt even that would cause any issues.

RV-6A Tip-Up Bought Flying
Old 01-28-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSolar View Post
I push and pull my RV-6A by the prop and was told to do so by my mechanic. Think about it, the prop is pulling the plane through the air so there is much more load on it when flying than you could put on it on the ground. Now I do like you said and push/pull near the hub not way out at the tip, even though I doubt even that would cause any issues.
For a Hartzell CS prop, Hartzell recommends against this. The reason given is that supposedly without the centrifugal force of the prop rotation pulling the blades into their bearings, the bearings can be damaged from pulling on the blades.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that gentle pull or push at the blade root could be any harder on the bearings than some of the occasional "violence" of engine start-up and shut-down when the prop doesn't have much rotation velocity...

Skylor
Old 01-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Ah, I guess I left out a bit of info. I have a fp prop on my plane. I could see where it might be slightly different with a cs prop but with how light our planes are I still don't see how that could cause a problem.

RV-6A Tip-Up Bought Flying
Old 01-28-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
For a Hartzell CS prop, Hartzell recommends against this. The reason given is that supposedly without the centrifugal force of the prop rotation pulling the blades into their bearings, the bearings can be damaged from pulling on the blades.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that gentle pull or push at the blade root could be any harder on the bearings than some of the occasional "violence" of engine start-up and shut-down when the prop doesn't have much rotation velocity...

Skylor
Approximate percent of people who use prop to pull their Hartzell (and others) equipped RV's is 100%
Old 01-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Default why do it?

There is a thrust bearing in the engine but on the ground it has no oil pressure.
If you can push or pull without turning the prop it's probably ok but if it turns as you are pulling it could damage the bearing. So why not just push on the cowl and pull with a tow bar?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:24 PM

sorry, i gotta disagree. it is just totally illogical that my little 5 fingers pulling at the hub of the prop on that bearing is gonna damage it while it lugs around that airframe at 200 mph being pulled by 200 hp. oil pressure or no oil pressure. i would be way more cautious of damaging my cowling.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 01-28-2020, 04:56 PM

Post 5 +1 This issue is that if the prop mfg.s OK pushing and pulling on the prop then people will push and pull on the tips and asymmetrically. If you push and pull at the hub and do it evenly on both sides, you are fine.
1978 PA38-112
Old 01-28-2020, 06:39 PM

Wife and I have owned 20+ personal use airplanes over the past 47 years. We have pulled or pushed on the props, near the hub, on all of them.

I have had many of the engines on our planes apart (I'm an A&P/IA), and the engines on other's planes apart also,and have so far, never witnessed damage caused by this practice.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoffs View Post
sorry, i gotta disagree. it is just totally illogical that my little 5 fingers pulling at the hub of the prop on that bearing is gonna damage it while it lugs around that airframe at 200 mph being pulled by 200 hp. oil pressure or no oil pressure. i would be way more cautious of damaging my cowling.
Spot on given that heat is what degrades bearings and their lubrication. Turning the prop by hand will never heat to even close their continuous design run temperature.