- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:02 PM

Default Take your mom flying

As I've written in the past, my biggest regret in building an airplane is that I was never able to give my mother a ride in it, which is ironic because the 7A I built was registered in her and dad's honor N614EF -- June 14, 1942. The day Eileen and Fred were married.

But an RV is impossible for a 90+ woman to get into, at least with the resources we had available when I flew the plane to my hometown years ago.

Mom died yesterday, two months shy of her 98th birthday.

In her honor, please give your mom a ride in your RV this weekend.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Waiting for the avionics kit (backordered: chip shortage)
Old 11-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Forum Peruser

Oh Bob, what a poignant post.

My sympathies and concern to you as you grieve the loss of your Mother. May you have many happy memories of her life.

My mother didn't care much about flying, but she did go up with Dad occasionally. Later, after she died, and as Dad reached his mid-80's, he preferred to fly right seat with me in the left seat. I cherish the memories of those flights, some of which were to see his WW2 buddies several flying hours away. He's been gone thirteen years.

I'm sure your Mother was proud of all of your accomplishments.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 11-20-2019, 07:00 PM

I lost my mother 3 weeks ago. She always wanted to ride in my -4, but the getting in and out of the plane was a challenge we couldn't get past. She last flew with me in an old Taylorcraft about 15 years ago. My wife and I married IN our RV-4 with a formation of 5 planes 4 years ago, and mom was able to be in the lead plane, a Cessna 206 with the photographer. At least, she was next us in close formation and for 45 minutes we did vows and some really cool cloud dancing and made memories. She supported my flying from age 16, and lived with my wife and I at the airport for the last few years of her life. I miss my mom.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 PM

Smile

Yes!!!

Carrollton, GA
Lyons Landing
Old 11-20-2019, 08:13 PM

When my grandmother was dying, I packed my mom in my plane twice a week for the last 3 weeks of my grandmothers life.

I was very thankful for my RV and the extra time it gave us with my grandmother.

X
ATP/CFI/II/MEI
N617TN
Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 PM

Default What a great post!

Thanks Bob, for sharing, and for such a wonderful and meaningful post. I'm sorry for your loss.

My mother (now 83) was never one for flying but was instrumental in pushing me towards my dream. We grew up without a lot, and mostly without a dad. The odds were against becoming an airline pilot but my mom never let me give up on the dream. Things were a lot different then, not quite the hiring environment we're enjoying now. I won't bore you all with the details but after 23 years at Southwest Airlines....and 21 in the left seat... I still see my reflection in the windshield sometimes and smile like a little kid.

For years I asked mom to come along on one of my flights. She's a nervous flyer but finally relented and rode with me on an ATL-MSP round trip. We landed at honest to goodness Cat III mins in MSP (gotta love auto land and the McBoeing 717) and she commented that she didn't see the runway until we touched down (neither did we, almost) but that she wasn't the least bit concerned "because her son was the captain". Some smiles you just can't wipe away...

I've got a great pic of her & I standing on the ramp, in the blizzard, in MSP, on the turn. As soon as I find it, I'll add it to the post.

Thanks mom. Still loving it, and forever grateful for everything.
Two partially built RV's, sold due to the ex-wife not liking them....so I got a better wife.
Exempt twice, so I paid double. Worth every penny, and then some.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:50 PM

What a timely post. Earlier this year I had the pleasure of flying with my dear friend Ray Weigle in my RV7. Ray was a WWII Navy pilot and flew many of the great Naval aircraft including the Corsair.

After the war he went on to a thirty year career with American Airlines. He also had a brief stint at TWA on the Connie. He went from the DC-3 to Captain on the 747. I don't think we'll ever see a career like that again.

He really loved the RV7, you talk about the RV grin! He went West today at the age of 99. Another part of the greatest generation passes on. Ray will be dearly missed, it was an honor to fly with him.

Pat
N931CB KHAF
Old 11-20-2019, 08:53 PM

Bob,
I am sure your mum/mom was grateful to have you as her son, and proud of the man you became.
Terrible time when loved parents go.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:03 AM

My dad purchased a 1969 172 in 1970 with 3 partners. The airplane had 50 hours TT on it. Over the course of about the next 6 years, my dad had bought the three partners out. When dad died 5 years ago, my mother said "I don't have any use for the airplane, and you are the only one who has a place for it. So why don't you just take it to your house". So, my brother & I have the 172 now.

It's about a 35 minute flight from my house to her's. We'll fly up there occasionally, pick her up, fly to breakfast, then go do some sightseeing.
She's 88 and loves flying.

She's ridden in the RV too.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:11 PM
unfluencer

Default Bob, I'm so sorry for your loss.

You wrote a wonderful tribute to your obviously wonderful mother, and I enjoyed every single word of it.

Keeping your family in our thoughts.

Doug
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.