Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2019, 03:27 AM

Default Tailwheel training in a Super Decathlon for RV7 suitable?

Hi All,

my tailwheel RV7 (IO375/CS prop) is not so far away from first flight. There are still a lot of things to be prepared, including myself. I am a low time pilot almost entirely with tri-gears (Katana, 172, PA28 etc.). Lately i had the chance to make ten T/O and landings with a flight instructor in a Grob G109. Fortunatly humans and aircraft were not damaged at the end of the day. I did not feel well at all in the G109. So we can assume that i am not qualified enough to do first flight/phase1.

Now there's a chance to get tailwheel training at a flight school nearby in a Super Decathlon. My question to the ones that are more experienced... is the Decathlon suitable enough get qualified to ride the RV7? Is it similar, easierer more difficult to take-off and land?

There are sveral adresses in north america to get flight training especially for RV's, but we don't have that luxury in Europe (i am based in Germany).

Best Regards
Kay
Old 11-13-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayS View Post
Hi All,

my tailwheel RV7 (IO375/CS prop) is not so far away from first flight. There are still a lot of things to be prepared, including myself. I am a low time pilot almost entirely with tri-gears (Katana, 172, PA28 etc.). Lately i had the chance to make ten T/O and landings with a flight instructor in a Grob G109. Fortunatly humans and aircraft were not damaged at the end of the day. I did not feel well at all in the G109. So we can assume that i am not qualified enough to do first flight/phase1.

Now there's a chance to get tailwheel training at a flight school nearby in a Super Decathlon. My question to the ones that are more experienced... is the Decathlon suitable enough get qualified to ride the RV7? Is it similar, easierer more difficult to take-off and land?

There are sveral adresses in north america to get flight training especially for RV's, but we don't have that luxury in Europe (i am based in Germany).

Best Regards
Kay
It will certainly help with getting the basics of tail wheel landings and take offs. In all likelihood, your insurance will require you to have a certain amount of training with a CFI in the RV-7 before you can fly it solo, and the CFI has to have certain minimums as well, but I forget what they were. I flew for something like 5 hours before we both felt that I was ready. I already had a tail wheel endorsement flying Piper Cubs.

Jim

Purchased July 2019: RV-6 0320 Whirlwind Ground Adjustable Prop

"We can porpoises?" -- Leo Farnsworth
Old 11-13-2019, 07:23 AM

I will share my experience. I too needed RV experience, however I was shooting for a RV7A. So the insurance company allowed me to fly with an instructor who flew a RV7. After flying in the RV, going back and flying a Cessna was like the difference between a Turtle and a Rabbit. I had lots of time in a C-170 and a Champ. Happy flying you will love the 7

RV-7A N1243A Sold
Old 11-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Time in any tailwheel airplane will help. My experience is the Decathlon is similar to my RV4 (and your RV7) in approach and landing. I would recommend that you become comfortable landing the Decathlon and find anybody with a RV6 or 7 that is willing to give you a ride. This will help with sight picture for your RV7.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:55 AM

Agree with all the tailwheel comments. When you start flying the -7, be gentle with the throttle till you get used to the power.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM

I had quite a few hours in a Citabra before I flew my RV-6. I seemed like a pretty easy transition.
RV8 N848DW. Ser#83830 done.
James Cowl
DAR inspection on 7-23-2021
First flight on 7-25-2021
Phase 2 on 9-3-2021
Old 11-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Default something a bit less expensive..

I would suggest a 65hp Champ (hand prop) if one is available. That thing is so light that you really have to be on your toes unless there is no wind. Been flying one of those since I could reach the stick - still have it. Got my 1st airplane ride in that plane when I was an infant.

If you can handle the Mighty Champ, you are ready for the Killer T-6!! The -7 will be too easy once the Champ is tamed.

Have fun!

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 PM

Maybe ask your insurance Rep what will be required? More than being prepared, it is meeting their requirements??
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Boss View Post
I would suggest a 65hp Champ (hand prop) if one is available. That thing is so light that you really have to be on your toes unless there is no wind. Been flying one of those since I could reach the stick - still have it. Got my 1st airplane ride in that plane when I was an infant.

If you can handle the Mighty Champ, you are ready for the Killer T-6!! The -7 will be too easy once the Champ is tamed.

Have fun!
Haha. I started to get my initial tail wheel endorsement in just such a Champ. Before I got proficient I switched to a Cub (clone) with all the comforts (including a starter and an O-200). After the tail wheel sign-off I moved to a few hours of dual in an RV-8, then about 10 of transition training in my RV-6. Some 50 hours later I think *maybe* I?m ready to try the Champ again. That thing will make you a pilot! Never scary, but challenging, and you can *never* stop paying attention.

Back on topic, yes do get time in a Decathalon, it?s fine experience (and much better than nothing). Then get some proper transition training in your RV of choice.

Peter
Old 11-13-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayS View Post
I did not feel well at all in the G109. So we can assume that i am not qualified enough to do first flight/phase1.

Now there's a chance to get tailwheel training at a flight school nearby in a Super Decathlon. My question to the ones that are more experienced... is the Decathlon suitable enough get qualified to ride the RV7?
Assume that you want to get yourself ready for AFTER the first flight/phase1? I am also relatively low time and the advice I've received, and that I am going to heed, is to have somebody else who is very experienced in RV's do the first flight as well as the first five hours. Even if you do some time in a Decathlon or another RV, I don't think that is enough to prepare one to be a test pilot, if your starting position is low hours in C172, Piper etc. There will be just too much going on at once, IMHO.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build