Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Default JDair Canopy Latch Review

I ended up installing the JDair Canopy Latch in my RV-14A today and figured I would share the experience. Overall I think it is a great upgrade from the stock Van's handle which as others have mentioned seems flimsy. This one is definitely not flimsy. Took about 2.5 hours to modify the side skin rivet line and file out the holes for the handle. Most of that was my slow filing of the two main holes with a hand file so that I got the spacing just right.
These are the pre-punched holes from Van's

The lower angle had to be moved about 1/2" down towards the floor. This allows for the thicker / taller handle.
This photo is the finished lower rivet lines and partially filed handle holes.

The template provides for the outlines needed to cut the two holes in which the handle sits flush on the outside, but the best fit is attained by cutting a little at a time and test fitting with the actual handle.
This photo is from the outside of the flush fitting handle

After some final sanding and test fitting the handle fits perfectly flush with very little air gap around the outer edges. I have the aluminum alodined and will paint it at a later time

Most the holes from the stock lower angle rivet line get cut out when you make the two large holes with the exception of two #40 holes. One of which is easily filled with a AN426AD3-3 rivet, but the second hole that sits between the two large handles will need to be filled with Bondo or something of the sort. Unfortunately it will have a large piece of metal sitting directly behind it on the inside of the aircraft. So unless you like extra visible holes in the aircraft, something will need to be done.

If I had to redo it, the only thing I would change would be to get the red anodized handle so that I wouldn't have to paint it later.
RV-10 Empennage - Searching
Wing - On Order
Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 AM

Smile Thanks

Thank you for the report! Just one of my next steps, except I have the quick build fuselage and will have to drill out the original installation...
Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Default Middle Rivet Hole

I cut a rivet really short and bucked it in the hole between the handles. It is flush on the inside and smooth.

The handle is a great improvement.

"You're never too old to learn something stupid." - unknown
Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM
unfluencer

Default Thank you Jon.

Outstanding presentation. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Related, there are several sites that walk you through DIY anodizing.
Link: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=DIY+anodiz...um&t=h_&ia=web
v/r,
dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 10-19-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:10 AM

Hmmm Is it really smart to do anodizing parts by yourself?

Think about all the waste fluids ... ant the environment you live ... and hopefully also your children and they're children ...

The company that do anodizing hopefully hat a clean an proper way to do it, then should follow the regulations to handle the waste acids and so on.

Normally anodizing is not so expensive.

Think about it.

RV-7A, TMX-IO-320, FM-150, WWA 200RV
Flying since 28. April 2016
Old 10-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Default Thanks!!!

Thanks for the kind review of our www.jdair.com canopy latch. We have sold a bunch of them and the RV14 crowd has recognized the advantages.

We have them in both aluminum color and anodized red. Somebody suggested Red as a safety item. This is your point of ingress/egress!! They are in stock and ready to ship.

It had thought about offering other colors but chose not to tie up inventory with colors that might not sell.

It is rewarding to go to Oshkosh and see so many of these latches installed. They are a great testament to the late Robbie Attaway who saw the need many years ago and developed the latch. He turned the design over to us when he retired.

Thanks again!!!
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
Old 10-22-2019, 05:40 AM

Is there anything I can ask of Van's when ordering the QB fuselage kit that would make the install of the JDair latch easier or not have to redo or remove from Van's latch set up?
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694
First Flight - June 22, 2021
2021 Dues Paid
Old 10-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
Is there anything I can ask of Van's when ordering the QB fuselage kit that would make the install of the JDair latch easier or not have to redo or remove from Van's latch set up?
I would say no. You aren’t going to use a couple of angles and a couple of pieces for the latch. Deleting them from the order would probably save you 5$. But all the time spent finding the part number, contacting Vans to delete those parts could be better used elsewhere.
We installed the latch on ours and it is really nice. Glad we went with it.

Kerry
Old 10-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
Not really. The only extra thing you would likely have to do with the QB is drill out the 8 rivets that hold the lower latch flange in place. But that?s not really a big deal since only two of those eight holes will remain on the skin. The other 6 will disappear when you cut the larger handle holes.
RV-10 Empennage - Searching
Wing - On Order
Old 10-22-2019, 05:54 PM

Exclamation Latch & Lock

Having a lock included in the latch would be a great option.
Has anyone attempted to add a lock to this latch?
Richard