Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:03 AM

Default Squeezer smilies

Hi all,

I clearly can't hold a squeezer straight to save myself and get quite lot of these smilies around round head rivets...hope the link works...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3UXAkwh...=1wzqggami6met

I'm not sure whether they are only in the primer or affect the aluminium as well (primer is way too thick so they possibly didn't get all the way through). I can't see any shiny metal at the bottom of any of them but I guess the only way to be sure is to sand it back to see if the aluminium is damaged and go from there. Any thoughts anyone, should I bother?

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited by GPV : 10-07-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:39 AM

I help out at the sheet metal workshop at Airventure, and it is always eye opening to people that have never riveted before that using the gun results in better rivets than the squeezer. Make sure you are only moving one handle on the squeezer. The handle that is in-line with rivet shaft should not move. Don't get your shoulder and upper body involved in the squeeze, which is hard with 1/8" rivets. If possible, put the squeezer yoke in a vice and move the work piece to it.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Default Gorilla tape

Buy a roll of black gorilla tape. Use a small piece to protect the part. 1" section is good for 4 rivets.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Default double squeze

Also, on the -4s I typically double squeeze the rivet. I find it nearly impossible to get a good rivet squeezed if I try and rivet with only one squeeze.
Make sure the rivet set is not moving in the squeezer; have the part in a clamp so it cant move either. You should be able to maintain the squeezer square to the part for the entire pull, otherwise the forces are so great, things will move around, especially if the holes are not perfect to begin with. a buggered hole is why a reworked rivet almost always comes out worse than the original.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 10% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 75%done
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 10-07-2019, 10:18 AM

Depending on upper body/arm strength, you may reach a point in rivet size where a pneumatic squeezer is easier to manage consistently. Borrow a buddy?s and try it, then decide if you need one. You can get most of your investment back by selling it when you are flying.
Miss March 2020
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 AM

The quality of my squeezed rivets improved dramatically after I sprung for a Cleveland Tools Main Squeeze. I found I had to apply so much force to a conventional single stage squeezer (for lack of a better term) that I couldn't hold the squeezer lined up well and square to the work piece. The Main Squeeze fixed that ...
EAA #51411
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015; 700 hrs as of 02/2020
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project; first flight 05/18/2019
SPA Panther N26TK; First Flight 03/13/2020
Old 10-07-2019, 11:15 AM

I found out when I was building the Empennage (first time big shake squeezing with pneumatic tool), that I got better result have the part sticking out of the workbench and let the yoke ‘hang’ on the rivet. Then I could use all my strength and coordination on keeping the squeezer straight.
I did develop a feel for ‘tool straightness’ and was soon able to squeeze consistently at all angles.
https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=N64BN
Old 10-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Is it possible you are using the wrong die?
For example using the squeezer die for a #4 rivet on a #3 rivet would likely do that.
Just a thought.
Legend Cub
Old 10-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Are you using a pneumatic squeezer here?

If so, two things I found helped. Make sure the yoke is tight in the squeezer with no movement when it squeezes (tighten the nuts). Second, I get my head down and make sure the amount of air gap around the set is equal - then it has to be square on the rivet. Make sure you are not tilting the body of the squeezer when you are pushing the trigger.

+1 for making sure you have the right size. A -4 set on a -3 rivet will make a smiley for sure.
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
Old 10-07-2019, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the tips and responses everyone. I need to go practice.

To answer your questions, yes the die was definitely correct and the squeezer is pneumatic. I was probably just lining it up incorrectly and my holes may be off a bit too. A fair few of my rivets were crooked so it wouldn't surprise me. Gonna have to go practice. Will definitely try some tape to protect things next time too.

Do I need to do anything to repair these things like sand them out?