- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:34 PM

Default ELT Test fails

I'm just wrapping up my first annual and tried the ELT test yesterday. I have an ACK E-04 121.5/406MHz ELT that is about 3 years old (battery good to 2021). I installed the batteries in the audio module and the remote in January 2017, those batteries expire in March 2024. The ELT was initially armed about this time last year. I cannot recall if I tested it back then and don't have my log books nearby. Anyways, back to this test. I pressed the test/reset button and nothing happens at all. I tried again after checking the main unit behind my baggage wall. Still nothing. I checked all of the phone cord connections from the ELT to the audio module and then to the remote. I'm going to pick up a new battery for the remote and try that, but does anyone have any ideas on what could make the simple test fail? I can try turning the ELT on from the main unit while my baggage wall is down, but haven't done that yet.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 06-16-2019, 06:47 PM

You did use the cord supplied with the unit right. If I remember correctly they are not wired the same as a phone cord. I seem th remember the plugs are reversed.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:12 PM

Check the batteries in the switch and audio module. I had the one in the audio module self destruct in under 2 yrs.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA
Old 06-16-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
You did use the cord supplied with the unit right. If I remember correctly they are not wired the same as a phone cord. I seem th remember the plugs are reversed.
That?s true, but the unit will detect it and give both an audio and visual warning. The ELT does a self test when switched from OFF to ARM on the main unit. One beep means all is well. More than one beep means look in the manual to decipher the fault code.

FWIW, I just installed one of these units in my plane and had to deal with this issue.

Donated 2021
Old 06-16-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
Yes I did. I was referring to the connector type. I could have been more clear, but the thought of using a plain phone cord never entered my mind. For good reason it appears.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT

Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 PM

A bit more testing tonight. Checked and replaced the remote battery. The original was reading 5.75V the new one 6.5V. This didn't resolve the issue. I crammed myself into the back before the 5 minute test window ended and turned the main unit off and back to arm. This resulted in a short burst alarm on 121.5 so the ELT is working. Upon further examination I found that I had reversed the cords through the audio module from what the manual shows. I reversed them back and tried testing again at the top of the hour. Still no joy.

I'm going to send an email to ACK to see what they suggest. But maybe someone here has an idea.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT

Old 06-18-2019, 09:50 AM

Claude - please don't take this as "raining on your parade" as I hope you get this fixed up and running with a minimum of fuss and effort.

The multiple connections involved in the ACK E-04 installation is one of the reasons why I do not recommend this ELT. Too many points of potential failure. Too many telephone connectors. Too many external "warts". Too many batteries. ELT's should be engineered to represent the finest example of "KISS" design. ACK missed the boat on this one.

Again, I hope you get up and running in no time flat, and that the ELT gives you good service in the long term.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 AM

Default ELT test fails

I agree this ELT thing is too complicated. My ELT has a 100+ page manual. BTW, do we even need ELTs if we have ADS-B out and cell phones also? Isn?t this an excessive regulatory burden?
Vans RV-6 slider-sold
Vans RV-9A slider, flying
O-360, AFS EFIS, True-track autopilot, Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B, Garmin 327 Transponder, Garmin 496

Dues happily paid Jan 3, 2020
Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaman View Post
I agree this ELT thing is too complicated. My ELT has a 100+ page manual. BTW, do we even need ELTs if we have ADS-B out and cell phones also? Isn?t this an excessive regulatory burden?
Neither ADS-B nor a cell phone give you "activation on crash" like an ELT. Carrying an ELT is hardly a burden if you happen to be the guy hanging from your seat belt, bleeding out...
Old 06-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaman View Post
Isn?t this an excessive regulatory burden?
It helps understand the government mentality if you know the history. No one gave a da.. if GA pilots went missing. But then, a congressman went missing in Alaska (never found, BTW). "This is terrible" said Congress. Thus, ELTs were born. Delivered prematurely, the first ones used early-generation Li+ batteries and caught on fire! The next generation gave so many false alarms, they were nearly useless. Worse - searchers died in crashes while looking for non-existent downed airplanes. We'll see how the newest incarnation of ELTs do. I'm not hopeful.